How to CTRL + V in CMD.EXE ???

Christopher Aide

Hi all,

since years this had made me suffer!! Why is that CMD ist the only
programm in WinXP where CTRL + V does not work?

I can of course paste by using the right mouse button and selecting that
option, ... but of course I would like to not use the mouse, but my
keyboard instead.

can anyone help me on this one

TIA

Chris

Harlan Grove

Christopher Aide said:
since years this had made me suffer!! Why is that CMD ist the only programm
in WinXP where CTRL + V does not work?

I can of course paste by using the right mouse button and selecting that
option, ... but of course I would like to not use the mouse, but my
keyboard instead.

can anyone help me on this one

Because it's a console, a character mode command processor, not a GUI
application. Also there are programs that use [Ctrl]+V for other things,
e.g., EDLIN.COM, in which it serves as an escape character.

FWIW, [Ctrl]+C doesn't do the same thing in console windows either. It
aborts operations rather than copies anything to the clipboard.

There are 3rd party keyboard macro programs still available you could use to
make [Ctrl]+V issue the keystroke actions [Alt]+[Spacebar],E,P (without the
commas).

Christopher Aide

Harlan said:
Christopher Aide said:
since years this had made me suffer!! Why is that CMD ist the only programm
in WinXP where CTRL + V does not work?

I can of course paste by using the right mouse button and selecting that
option, ... but of course I would like to not use the mouse, but my
keyboard instead.

can anyone help me on this one

Because it's a console, a character mode command processor, not a GUI
application. Also there are programs that use [Ctrl]+V for other things,
e.g., EDLIN.COM, in which it serves as an escape character.

FWIW, [Ctrl]+C doesn't do the same thing in console windows either. It
aborts operations rather than copies anything to the clipboard.

There are 3rd party keyboard macro programs still available you could use to
make [Ctrl]+V issue the keystroke actions [Alt]+[Spacebar],E,P (without the
commas).

Hello Mr. Grove,

thanks for answering! The ALT + SPACE -combination I dident know, I
cheked it and it will work just fine for me, thanks!

Chris

Al Dunbar

Christopher Aide said:
Harlan said:
Christopher Aide said:
since years this had made me suffer!! Why is that CMD ist the only
programm in WinXP where CTRL + V does not work?

I can of course paste by using the right mouse button and selecting that
option, ... but of course I would like to not use the mouse, but my
keyboard instead.

can anyone help me on this one

Becausewhich it serve it's a console, a character mode command processor,
not a GUI application. Also there are programs that use [Ctrl]+V for
other things, e.g., EDLIN.COM, in s as an escape character.

FWIW, [Ctrl]+C doesn't do the same thing in console windows either. It
aborts operations rather than copies anything to the clipboard.

There are 3rd party keyboard macro programs still available you could use
to make [Ctrl]+V issue the keystroke actions [Alt]+[Spacebar],E,P
(without the commas).

Hello Mr. Grove,

thanks for answering! The ALT + SPACE -combination I dident know, I cheked
it and it will work just fine for me, thanks!

here is another trick you might find useful: if you drag-and-drop a file or
folder from windows explorer on to a command prompt window, the full path
will be inserted into the command you are typing at the location of the
character cursor. One use of this feature is to type "pushd " (without the
quotes but *with* the trailing space), and then drag the folder you want to
change the current directory to onto the window.

/Al

Dave Patrick

Also try turning on "quick edit" mode for the session (or permanently) and
right click button is all that's necessary to paste.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Nil

here is another trick you might find useful: if you drag-and-drop
a file or folder from windows explorer on to a command prompt
window, the full path will be inserted into the command you are
typing at the location of the character cursor.

I never knew that one - that will come in handy. Thanks!

Urpiano Cedazo

here is another trick you might find useful: if you drag-and-drop a file
or folder from windows explorer on to a command prompt window, the full
path will be inserted into the command you are typing at the location of
the character cursor. One use of this feature is to type "pushd " (without
the quotes but *with* the trailing space), and then drag the folder you
want to change the current directory to onto the window.

Yes, that works from early Win NT (as I know), unfortunately, it doesn't
work on Vista, or there are some trick to make work it?

Best Regards
Urpiano Cedazo