How to create winnt.sif and sysprep - There has to be a better way

R. Milliner

I'm looking for a tool to help automate the deployment of
Windwos 2000 Server & Advanced Server.

I've read the Win2k Guide to Unattended Setup which
details how to create the Winnt.SIF and Sysprep.inf files.

I ALSO have the Win2k OEM Preinstallation Kit which
creates (terribly weak) Winnt.SIF and Sysprep.inf files.

What I'm really looking for is something that does what
MSBATCH98 did for Windows 98.

It had the sections, allowed me to select the actual
components...remove things like calc.exe, etc. It was
very granular, and even imported the current machine's
settings.

So...I've used the tools that I know about, but do you
know about any others that I'm missing? Is there
something that's available that will capture whether I
want certificate services, or the directory where I want
IIS to be installed in more of a GUI interface?

I suck at hand-typing all the component entries and all
the "coded" details. Isn't there something that's easier?

Tell me where to find it. What is it called?

Thanks.

Please respond via e-mail (remove all the capped and
stupid stuff...you know what to do) or reply to this
thread.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

rob

Scott McArthur [MSFT]

Try downloading the latest deployment tools for Windows 2000 SP4

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/SP4/deploytools.
asp

In this .CAB you will find setupmgr.exe. It can be used to create a
unattend.txt(winnt.sif) and sysprep.inf

Scott McArthur[MS]
Microsoft Windows Server Setup Support
| From: "R. Milliner" <[email protected]>