How to create Vista default profile

Sir Timbit

Alright, I'm having problems trying to create a default profile for use in
Vista Ultimate. I'm using build 5728.

I did this the same way I do my default profiles with XP, which is to log on
with a certain account, make all my various settings changes, then log on
with a different administrative account, go to System properties, User
Profiles, and copy the profile I want to use to c:\Documents and
Settings\Default User (or c:\Users\Default User in Vista). When I did this
in Vista, it warned me that the Default User folder already existed and to
confirm that I was replacing. As it does this in XP, I just allowed it to
replace the default user folder. For "Permission to use" I entered
'everyone' for the local machine, as I do in XP.

Works like a charm under XP, but when I did the same thing in Vista, I got
the following error message when I tried to log on as a new user (to see if
the new profile would match the new default profile): "The User Profile
Service service failed the login. User profile cannot be loaded."

So it looks like the way I created profiles with XP no longer works in
Vista!

Ideas? I can still log on just fine with accounts that have an existing
profile, but any account that requires a *new* profile folder to be created
fails with the above error message.

Also, how do I get to the setting to show hidden files? In XP, you'd click
Tools-->Folder Options-->click the view tab-->click 'Show hidden files and
folders'

Thanks,
Sir_Timbit

rblacher

Took me a while to find this one, too.

It's in Control Panel under Folder Options and you can also get to it from
(O)rganize in any folder view.

Clark

I may be wrong about this, but I tried to change a system file once and it
was no longer useable by Vista after that. I believe Vista looks at the
file to make sure it is the original and if not, the file will not be used.
If there was some way to verify to Vista it was the correct file, it might
work but I never found out how to do that.

If you check the file, or folder and it says that the TrustedInstaller owns
it and has full control, it might be one of those types of files. I assume
this is a security procedure to keep altered files from being placed on your
system by hackers.

Clark

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This is a non-supported method that is known to have issues.
This is the only supported methods for modifying the Default User profile:
959753 How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an
image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;959753

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: Azariah <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: How to create Vista default profile
| >Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:25:21 +0530
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

* Right click Computer and select Properties

| >* Select Advanced System Properties (elevating as required)
| >
| >* In the system properties dialog click the Settings button under User
Profiles

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-administration/1065679.htm

--
Azariah