How to create a Read Only + No one can save

ITGuy

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm trying to create a excel
file that is read only however i also want it setup so no one can save the
file.

What seems to be happening is people are saving the read only file and then
making some changes and deleting the first excel file.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Jim Cone

That can be done using "BeforeSave" event code to cancel all save actions.
However, what do you do when they copy the sheets out to another
workbook and delete the original file?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"ITGuy"
wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm trying to create a excel
file that is read only however i also want it setup so no one can save the
file.
What seems to be happening is people are saving the read only file and then
making some changes and deleting the first excel file.
Any suggestions?
Many Thanks

Dave Peterson

I don't think you can stop them.

Maybe you can talk to your IT staff to set up a network share that everyone has
read access to, but no write access (except you???). Then put your important
workbooks there.

But this won't stop the users from saving a copy locally.

And I don't know of a robust way to stop users from doing that. Anything that I
would attempt would depend on macros--and macros can be disabled.

Heck, the users would be able to just use windows explorer to copy from that
network drive and paste where they want.