How to - Colour incoming messages accoridng to category

a000y

How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply a
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

Roady [MVP]

Version of Outlook? It's broken in Outlook 2002.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Does it not work for you if you use rules to set the category then Views to
assign colors to categories? I prefer to define a new view when I do this
and switch back to the regular view for a non-colored look.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

alc

Yes Outlook 2002, I take it you mean that feature is N/A!

--

Rory

-----
a000y @eircom.net> said:
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

alc

That is what I have tried. The rule to set the category works, the View to
trigger the conditional/automatic formatting does not. In these situations I
have often missed something basic. Defining a new view did not work.

I am thrown on the whole thing by the fact that "More Choices" and "Avanced"
tabs in the Condition section seem to offer the same choices, in different
ways.
--

a000y @eircom.net> said:
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

Roady [MVP]

The feature is there but just doesn't do anything. I noticed it while
writing my color code guide
(in case you're interested
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/coloremailadvanced.htm)

It's working again in Outlook 2003.

--

alc @eircom.net> said:
Yes Outlook 2002, I take it you mean that feature is N/A!

--

Rory
in
message news:[email protected]...

a000y @eircom.net> said:
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Yes, the first two tabs do offer the same choices as advanced but they act
slightly different.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

a000y @eircom.net> said:
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

alc

Yup, I was doing the right things, & yup it has no effect

Thanks for the link, the guide is well written

"a000y @eircom.net>" <alc000<removethis> wrote in message
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do
it
by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

On a VM with Ol2002/SP3, the rules aren't setting a category, but the view
works if I manually set them.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

a000y @eircom.net> said:
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

alc

Update

We have 2 machines here running Outlook 2002 (both SP3), on the one I use
the function doesn't work. I have have Win2k, on the other Auto formatting
does work, the machine OS is WinXP.

--

alc @eircom.net> said:
[...]

HELP!! I want to color code incoming email by using my categories in my
contacts. Do I have to first set a "rule" that assigns a category? How do I
do this ...
thanks!

Diane Poremsky said:
Does it not work for you if you use rules to set the category then Views to
assign colors to categories? I prefer to define a new view when I do this
and switch back to the regular view for a non-colored look.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"a000y @eircom.net>" <alc000<removethis> wrote in message
How do I apply a colour to incoming messages.

I know about Customize Current View/Automatic Formatting/ and I can apply
colour based on keywords in the Subject or Body. I would like to do it by
assigning emails to a Category (using Rules Wizard), and then color-coding
emails based on assigned Category.

(I get lots of emails and moving them to folders has not been a good idea)

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Yes, you'll need a Rules wizard rule to set a category, then set an
automatic formatting rule in Define views.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]