How to change platform from Pocket PC 2003 to Windows Mobile 5.0 in VS2005 project?

Robert Janik

Hi,

I have created a project in .NET Comapct Framework and I used as a target
platform Pocket PC 2003. I'm running this application on Windows Mobile 5.0,
so I have decided to leave Pocket PC 2003 and move the entire project to
Windows Mobile 5.0, however it is not possible to simply change the target
platform in VS2005.

Do I have to craete a new project for Windows Mobile 5.0 and copy all the
code, Forms, Controls and UserControls into this new project?
Could I edit project and solution in text editor to change platform to
Windows Mobile 5.0? This would probably be much simpler, but I'm not sure
if it could break anything.

I know that if the project is working on both platforms it is advantage, but
I would prefer to use only Windows Mobile 5.0 (and higher).

Thanks for any advice.
Robert

Right click on the project in the explorer and select "Change Target
Platform..."

Robert Janik

I was looking for this in Properties. I absolutely didn't see this option in
context menu and didn't find a solution by searching documentation.

Thanks for fast answer.
Robert

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

It only shows up on the menu if the project is in an earlier version that
the latest version VS2005 knows about. Are you sure that .NET CF 2.0 is
installed on your development machine?

Paul T.

Robert Janik

I had installed .NET CF 1.0 (or 1.1) and CF 2.0 + SP1. CF 1.0 or 1.1 was
only a patch or servicepack. I'm not sure, but I think it was installed with
Microsoft Update or originaly with VS2003. I removed CF 1.0, because I
didn't need it. I originaly started experimenting with smart device
development on VS2003 or VS2005 beta, but when VS2005 was released I started
working with this new version and latest CF2.0.
It is possible that there is some chaos in my config. Some CF 2.0 assemblies
are probably missing - for example Microsoft.WindowsMobile.PowerSettings (or
PowerSupply I don't remember the exact name). It contains libraries to
verify battery status and sends notifications.
I found somewhere on the internet that these assemblies aren't installed
with CF 2.0, but can be found on the device, however I'm not sure. It is
possible that I need to do some cleanup and install CF 2.0 again.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

It's *always* possible that there's chaos in your configuration ;-) There's
no reason to uninstall the earlier version. If you have code that was
dependent on it, even if the code was recently converted to .NET CF 2.0, I'd
say that you *do* need it. I don't know enough about the guts of VS to say
what the probable problem is, but, if it were me, I'd uninstall VS2005 and
start over.

Paul T.