How to change file-association for TXT files?


V

V S Rawat

It is not allowing me to change file association for TXT files.

If I choose a different program to open txt files in "open
with", that does not stick.

In folder options also, I am not allowed to change nor delete
the association of TXT with notepad.

It is as sick as was opening html files with ie in some previous
version.

Has anyone come across how to overcome it.

Please share it with me. I want metapad to be used for txt files.

--
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

kewin

I got the same problem when my new application had the
same file name (notepad.exe) as the old one.

Try to rename the exe file to something else. Or maybe
try TED Notepad, a bit better than the older Metapad:
http://jsimlo.sk/notepad/

I have no such problem with it.

Hope that helped,
Kew
 
K

Keith Miller MVP

Do you have admin permissions?

Is there an entry for metapad here:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications"

if it exists, make sure it doesn't have a value named "NoOpenWith"

if it doesn't, create an entry similar to this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Metapad\\metapad.exe\" \"%1\""

The extra slashes & quotes in the last entry is because the above is copied from a reg export. If
you edit the registry directly, it should look like:

"C:\Program Files\Metapad\metapad.exe" "%1"

Then try Open with -> 'always use this file...' again
 
V

V S Rawat

Keith said:
Do you have admin permissions?

Is there an entry for metapad here:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications"

if it exists, make sure it doesn't have a value named
"NoOpenWith"

The following entry is there. It does not have "NoOpenWith".

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open\command =
"D:\install\metapad.exe" "%1"
if it doesn't, create an entry similar to this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Metapad\\metapad.exe\" \"%1\""

The extra slashes & quotes in the last entry is because the
above is copied from a reg export.

created. didn't work.

If you edit the registry
directly, it should look like:

"C:\Program Files\Metapad\metapad.exe" "%1"

oh. :) mea culpa. now, did like above. didn't work.
Then try Open with -> 'always use this file...' again

metapad was not even appearing in the list of programs.

anything more?
--
 
Ad

Advertisements

V

V S Rawat

kewin said:
I got the same problem when my new application had the
same file name (notepad.exe) as the old one.

Try to rename the exe file to something else.

I had done that sometime ago, but AFAIR, it was restoring
original notepad.exe from some backup.
Or maybe
try TED Notepad, a bit better than the older Metapad:
http://jsimlo.sk/notepad/

downloaded 4.5.1 beta, and joined its yahoogroups. Shall see.

thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Keith Miller MVP

Have you used the 'Browse' button in the 'Open File With' dialog?

Have you got this entry in the registry:

"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt"

Value Name: Application
Type: REG_SZ
Data: metapad.exe


--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]


V S Rawat said:
Keith said:
Do you have admin permissions?

Is there an entry for metapad here:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications"

if it exists, make sure it doesn't have a value named
"NoOpenWith"

The following entry is there. It does not have "NoOpenWith".

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open\command =
"D:\install\metapad.exe" "%1"
if it doesn't, create an entry similar to this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\metapad.exe\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Metapad\\metapad.exe\" \"%1\""

The extra slashes & quotes in the last entry is because the
above is copied from a reg export.

created. didn't work.

If you edit the registry
directly, it should look like:

"C:\Program Files\Metapad\metapad.exe" "%1"

oh. :) mea culpa. now, did like above. didn't work.
Then try Open with -> 'always use this file...' again

metapad was not even appearing in the list of programs.

anything more?
--
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top