How to Always Run A Shortcut As Another User?

Gregory I. Hayes

I have a multimedia program - A PCTV Program (MYHD) that runs only if I am
logged in as an administrator. If I try to run the program as any other type
of user I get a "Failed to create empty document" error. If I give everyone
full control permission to the directory that holds the application I don't
get that error but get a similar registry error if I am not running as an
administrator. I am running Win XP Pro and the app was installed from the
administrator account. I would like the guest account (or any normal account
for that matter) to be able to run the app. Is there a way to have an
application always run as another user. If I am in the guest account and run
the app as an administrator, It runs fine but I must supply the admin
password every time it runs. I would like a guest to be able to run the app
without having to supply an admin password each time they run it.

Thanks in Advance
Gregory I. Hayes
(e-mail address removed)

askxperts

Hi Gregory,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free expert community where your questions are send to many
experts.

Thanks!

PS: If you're an expert and would like to answer questions, you're
welcome to come in and earn points and money answering questions.

Wesley Vogel

I invite you to bugger off, SPAMMER!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In
askxperts said:
Hi Gregory,

<SNIP>

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Gregory said:
[...]

You'd need a third party app to do this, I believe. Rather than do it this
way, have you looked into finding out what the app requires that the user
have access to, in the file system/registry, and modifying that? See FileMon
and RegMon from www.sysinternals.com

Gregory I. Hayes

I do get a registry error message but it gives no indication of how to
change the registry key to permit the app to run from a non-administrator
account (Other than using regedit to access the key, I haven't a clue as to
how to edit a key so as to give access permission to a particular user or
group).
I will check out RegMon from www.sysinternals.com tho' .

Thanks
Gregory I. Hayes
(e-mail address removed)
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Moderator

askxperts said:
Hi Gregory,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free expert community where your questions are send to many
experts.

Thanks!

PS: If you're an expert and would like to answer questions, you're
welcome to come in and earn points and money answering questions.

Spamming complaint sent to (e-mail address removed)

Looking up !NET-69-86-32-0-1 at whois.arin.net.

NOTE: More information appears to be available at ELNK-ORG-ARIN.

Using 15 day old cached answer (or, you can get fresh results).
Hiding E-mail address (you can get results with the E-mail address).

CustName: EARTHLINK, INC.
Address: 1375 PEACHTREE STREET, LEVEL A
City: ATLANTA
StateProv: GA
PostalCode: 30309
Country: US
RegDate: 2004-09-28
Updated: 2004-09-28

NetRange: 69.86.32.0 - 69.86.103.255
CIDR: 69.86.32.0/19, 69.86.64.0/19, 69.86.96.0/21
NetName: ERLK-TW-NYCITY38
NetHandle: NET-69-86-32-0-1
Parent: NET-69-86-0-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2004-09-28
Updated: 2004-09-28

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE60-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: ABUSE TEAM
OrgAbusePhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgAbuseEmail: *****@abuse.earthlink.net

OrgTechHandle: ELNK-ORG-ARIN
OrgTechName: EarthLink, Inc.
OrgTechPhone: +1-404-815-0770
OrgTechEmail: *********@lists.corp.earthlink.net

John Winfield

From: "John Winfield" <...@...>
To: <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]>
Subject: Possible Fraud and Multiposted Usenet Spam Complaint

Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:47:52 GMT

Hello,

Please be advised, before reading on, that I have decided that I will also
lodge a formal complaint with the FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center at
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp My decision is based on what I have stated
below about the spam claiming "It's a free expert community" and the site's
terms of service requiring payments in US dollars for those asking
questions.

The three usenet posts below are recorded by google as originating from
earthlink.net. The website resolves to IP 209.133.254.230 at syme.com. The
poster is purporting to use a yahoo mail address ([email protected] and
(e-mail address removed)). Those services are included as recipients of this
complaint.

The website being advertised (http://www.askxperts.com/) is a commercial
operation. The front page states, "When you sign up you will have 10,000
points on your account. When you reach 100,000 points you'll get $500." In
order to pay the $500, the site's terms of service require payment from
those asking questions.

The newsgroup charter for one of the crossposted groups is included, FYI.
The charter explicitly forbids commercial advertising of any kind.

Whilst not being familiar with your respective local laws, and not making an
accusation of any kind, I must also echo my concerns over suspicions about
the possible perpetration of fraud, be that deliberate or by way of
oversight. Those concerns are brought about by the fact that not once in the
site's terms of service, nor anywhere else on the site, could I locate
anything that stated how people will receive payment of $500. The site, as
far as I could discern, talks only of how others must pay in US dollars.

Having noted that, the site itself claims "Anyone is welcome to ask or
answer questions for free" and the usenet posts claim "It's a free expert
community", so one is drawn to wonder why the site's terms require payment
for free questions in US dollars.

That the site may be commercial, is, in my opinion, based on the evidence
presented below.

Thank you and kind regards,
John Winfield

Evidence 1
==========
"3. Payment Terms. When you first open your account, AskXperts gives you a
balance, as described in the current Frequently Asked Questions ("HELP").
You shall pay AskXperts the amount of your question value, and we will pay
the experts ("Expert Fee"). You shall also pay any taxes imposed by
governmental agencies of whatever kind and imposed with respect to all
transactions under the Agreement, including penalties and interest (If
any). When AskXperts has the legal obligation to pay or collect such taxes,
the appropriate amount shall be billed to and paid by you.

All payments due are in U.S. dollars unless otherwise agreed by AskXperts in
writing."

Direct link to Terms: http://www.askxperts.com/terms.asp

Additionally and totally contrary to the claims of the terms of service
["AskXperts gives you a balance, as described in the current Frequently
Asked Questions ("HELP")], the faq/help text DOES NOT in any way that I
could tell, describe such a process. It only states, in limited words,
how one creates an acount.

http://www.askxperts.com/help.asp#1a

Evidence 2
==========
The site includes links to commercial and regularly blacklisted web-traffic
link exchanges.

Evidence 3
==========
In all three posts, the content does not change. Additionally the very same
content has been posted into other newsgroups. Additional samples attached
at end. The final sample records verizon.net as the originating host, which
leads me to reasonably conclude that the person may have had other accounts
terminated or suspended for prior spamming activities.

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.os.windows.xp, alt.os.windows-xp,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Subject: Re: How to Always Run A Shortcut As Another User?

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.os.windows.xp, alt.os.windows-xp,

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.os.windows.xp, alt.os.windows-xp,
Date: 6 Nov 2004 09:36:05 -0800
not-for-mail

Hi Gregory,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free expert community where your questions are send to many
experts.

Thanks!

PS: If you're an expert and would like to answer questions, you're
welcome to come in and earn points and money answering questions.

For your newsgroups file:
alt.os.windows-xp Microsoft Windows XP operating system.

CHARTER: alt.os.windows-xp

* The purpose of alt.os.windows-xp is to serve as a
forum for discussion of the Microsoft Windows XP OS
and related topics, eg. application software used with
the Windows XP OS (Office XP, disk management software etc).

* This is not a technical support group. Support questions
are off-topic. This is a discussion group. Please post
with some care and thought (in advance).

* Posts must not contain encoded material. This includes
HTML, which is FORBIDDEN. Also, posts must NOT be signed
with cryptological software, eg Gnu's Privacy Guard, PGP
etc.

* DO NOT post commercial adverts, spam or money making schemes
here.

* DO NOT post messages that create new threads that have
any relationship to the Linux OS and its various
implementations. This is not a Linux newsgroup. Linux is
off-topic and the creation of new threads that reference it
is expressly FORBIDDEN. Violations will be reported to
relevant Internet Service Providers.

This revised charter was discussed in alt.config In February 2004.

END CHARTER

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: misc.legal
Subject: Re: Notice of Order to Show Cause
Date: 6 Nov 2004 00:38:51 -0800

Hi Falky,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free experts community where your questions are send to many
experts.

Thanks!

P.S.: Experts you can read about it at
http://www.askxperts.com/experts.asp

From: "AskXperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.algebra.help
Subject: Re: Inverse of a function
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 03:59:08 GMT

Hi Craig ,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free expert community where your questions are send to experts.

Thanks!

John Winfield

From: "John Winfield" <...@...>
To: <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]>

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.os.windows.xp, alt.os.windows-xp,

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.os.windows.xp, alt.os.windows-xp,

From: "askxperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-xp, alt.os.windows.xp, alt.os.windows-xp,

From: "AskXperts" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.algebra.help
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 03:59:08 GMT

Hi Craig ,

I invite you to post your question at http://www.askxperts.com

It's a free expert community where your questions are send to experts.

Thanks!

jonikal

ChuckIT,

Please explain why you're calling me a spammer and what your complaint
is based on.

David H. Lipman

Are you the poster who posted as "askxperts" and posted the following URL --
http://www.askxperts.com ?

If you are, read John Winfield's reply !

Dave

| ChuckIT,
|
| Please explain why you're calling me a spammer and what your complaint
| is based on.

Andrew Kirby

ChuckIT,

Please explain why you're calling me a spammer and what your complaint
is based on.

Did you read what somebody else wrote about you?
I have decided that I will also lodge a formal complaint
with the FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center at
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp My decision is based on
what I have stated below about the spam claiming "It's a
free expert community" and the site's terms of service
requiring payments in US dollars for those asking questions."

If the FBI are invloved, maybe you should ask them if the complaint has any
merit. FWIW, I'm not an expert on crimimal points, but if I were you, I'd be
moving house and changing my name and appearance.

jonikal

Hello,

I've contacted the FBI in regards to these accusations as well. Please
forward your complaint number in order to follow up.

AskXperts.com is a free website. It is not related to any commercial
activities. There is no charge whatsoever to post or answer any
question. Terms and conditions were mistaken and removed.

John Winfield Nov 7, 4:05 pm show options

Newsgroups:
alt.comp.os.windows-xp,alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

From: John Winfield <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:05:04 GMT
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Show original

From: "John Winfield" <...@...>
To: <[email protected]>,

<[email protected]>

Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:47:52 GMT

[...]

-- there is not commercial advertising of any kind.

Whilst not being familiar with your respective local laws, and not
making an
accusation of any kind, I must also echo my concerns over suspicions
about
the possible perpetration of fraud, be that deliberate or by way of
oversight. Those concerns are brought about by the fact that not once
in the
site's terms of service, nor anywhere else on the site, could I locate
anything that stated how people will receive payment of $500. The site,
as
far as I could discern, talks only of how others must pay in US
dollars.

-- Anyone who accumulates 100,000 points will receive $500. It is
stated on the front page of the website.

[...]

- Incorrect. Terms and conditions do not express charges of any kind.
AskXperts is a free website.

Evidence 2

==========
The site includes links to commercial and regularly blacklisted
web-traffic
link exchanges.

- 'blacklisted web-traffic' -- Part of Link exchange program. Complaint
has been followed. Links has been removed.

Evidence 3

==========
In all three posts, the content does not change. Additionally the very
same
content has been posted into other newsgroups. Additional samples
attached
at end. The final sample records verizon.net as the originating host,
which
leads me to reasonably conclude that the person may have had other
accounts
terminated or suspended for prior spamming activities.

-False statement and speculation. Have not been terminated, suspended
or involved in any kind of spamming activities.

I'm contacting a lawyer in regards to this accusations and the FBI as
well.

Regards.

jonikal

Yes Dave I am. I've read John Winfield's reply and I'm following up
with it. There are wrong accusations and I would like to follow up with
you and clarify what the accusations are against me. I've read the
newsgroup regulations, and I would like to hear where am I breaking the
newsgroup regulations, please explain: