How prevent users from showing on login screen

Bill

I need to add a couple of users to an XP Pro machine see they can
access certain folders but not others via a mapped drive. However, I do
not want those users to be listed on the login screen because I do not
want it to be obvious that they can login on the machine. How can I
prevent a user from appearing on the login screen? Thanks.

Ivor Jones

Bill said:
I need to add a couple of users to an XP Pro machine see
they can access certain folders but not others via a
mapped drive. However, I do not want those users to be
listed on the login screen because I do not want it to be
obvious that they can login on the machine. How can I
prevent a user from appearing on the login screen?
Thanks.

Switch to classic login format, then all they'll get (after pressing
Ctrl-Alt-Del) is a screen asking for a username and password.

Ivor

Michael Bednarek

I need to add a couple of users to an XP Pro machine see they can
access certain folders but not others via a mapped drive. However, I do
not want those users to be listed on the login screen because I do not
want it to be obvious that they can login on the machine. How can I
prevent a user from appearing on the login screen? Thanks.

Sigh. This is what I posted in this very newsgroup on Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:39:42 +1000,
Subject: How to remove all administrators from Welcome Screen?, OP: "Dennis Q. Wilson",
Google link:
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/m..._frm/thread/1b842aa7ccd8683f/a1eafed215449f42>.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Administrator"=dword:00000000

Replace "Administrator" as needed.

Colin Nash [MVP]

Bill said:
I need to add a couple of users to an XP Pro machine see they can
access certain folders but not others via a mapped drive. However, I do
not want those users to be listed on the login screen because I do not
want it to be obvious that they can login on the machine. How can I
prevent a user from appearing on the login screen? Thanks.

Also, in the local security policy you can "deny logon locally" for them
(secpol.msc -> User rights assignment) if the accounts will only be used for
network access to the computer. I'm not sure if the Welcome screen is smart
enough to not show users without the logon locally right, but in any event
it would give an error message if they try. The other replies give ways to
remove the accounts from the list (although crafty users could find other
ways to log in with those accounts.)