How much spam to you get?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just deleted 300 spam e-mails in the last 24 hours, and that is about normal now (even with filtering!).

How much do people here get, and what do you find most effective to combat it? I've tried mailwasher a while ago but it didn't seem to do anything for me. Server side filtering has worked quite well so far, so I will probably try and refine those filters.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow Ian, sounds like you need more than a recycle bin ... you need a whole wheelie bin! You must be pretty fed up having to deal with that lot. I rarely receive spam in my OE account, and could probably count the number of spam mails received in a year, on one hand. If any arrive, I don't normally open them, instead I click on File > Properties to view the details about where they originated, then set a "Rule" or "Block" them altogether. But on the other hand, maybe I'm just lucky, because I usually only give out my OE address to trusted websites/people, and use webmail addresses for everything else. My Hotmail account has definitely improved over the past year, and these days I probably only get about 6 spam-mails per week, instead of per day. Microsoft seems to have tightened up a lot on spam filtering. Yahoo is a bit worse, but that is probably because I use it when signing up to play web-games, etc.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow I wish I only got that many Taffycat :lol: My e-mail appears all over the place and isn't in my control, so I can't do much about that - I do have a hotmail account too though which seems to be only a few per week now (thankfully!).

I've gone and made some more filters now that should sort of a few more of them, I hope!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's what you get for being so popular Ian!! :lol: But good luck, hope your extra filters will do the trick :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
About 50 a day, mostly from Bitbenders. BBF is suffering badly from Spam atm.

I use mailwasher, it works a little bit, but it ain't that good.

I just wish I could use a machine gun, I'm sure that would be more effective :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I get spam to an email address I have never ever used ... some of it I have no idea how it gets there, it's not even the right name. :confused:

I get maybe 3 a week to the email address in my sig. :D

Strange, innit. :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Must get about 20 a day to my public account but none to my main account as my security suite does the business of sorting and deleting them before i even see them...And thats how i like it...:nod:

Reaction score
I think i get about 2 emails a week spam selling something from spain:confused:

Looks like im luckier with spam than most of you :D

Reaction score
None on two accounts :D On the other Ummmmmm.......... to many I don`t even look at them just delete.:user:

Reaction score
I get none at all luckily, but then again i used to get just as many as you Ian, until i signed up for service from Postini.

Although it takes a bit of getting used to, it can sometimes block legit emails, although at 9AM every morning, Postini automatically sends you a Quarantine email outlining what it has blocked for that day, and gives you the option to simply click a link and it whitelists the sender.

At $50 a month though, isn't the cheapest solution out there.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Wow I wish I only got that many Taffycat
laughingsmiley.gif
My e-mail appears all over the place and isn't in my control, so I can't do much about that - I do have a hotmail account too though which seems to be only a few per week now (thankfully!).

I've gone and made some more filters now that should sort of a few more of them, I hope!

You couldn't do worse than follow Muckshifters tip and get yerself a G-Mail account . Brings all your e-mail into one easy to use place with good spam killers etc etc etc etc etc . :p

Reaction score
Yeah however, i don't think my Clients would appreciate me emailing them from a GMail account however.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
with AOL, it has a spam blocker so i get no spam what so ever :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I get no spam whatsoever to my gmail account (John's had about 6-10 in his gmail account since he opened it) & I probably get about 5-6/week to my hotmail account.
My xtra account (the one that came with my previous isp account with telecom) would get between 5 - 10 a day. Shifting to gmail was the best thing I've ever done :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
cImrie said:
Yeah however, i don't think my Clients would appreciate me emailing them from a GMail account however.

You can set the Gmail up to route your other e-mail accounts through it and it will send e-mails as though they are from your other accounts .

Hope that makes sense .

:confused: :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yes, I used that when I first shifted to Gmail, to reply to people who I didn't neccessarily wan't to have my new email address. Sent out all those emails with the old xtra addy on them.

Ask a Question