How Much Memory Should You Get? 4GB vs. 8GB vs. 16GB

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Tech Spot have written an article looking at how much memory is needed by the average PC user. Here's a snippet:

With the recent arrival of Skylake, many are looking into Intel's latest platform which requires not just a Core i7-6700K or Core i5-6600K processor but also a new Z170 motherboard and DDR4 memory. Although memory prices are competitive at the moment (read: cheap), you can still expect to pay between 20 to 40% more for DDR4 memory versus DDR3. Naturally, users are questioning if the upgrade to Skylake is worth the premium.

But regardless if you opt for Intel's latest platform and DDR4, or go for last season's Haswell range with more affordable DDR3 memory, you'll likely ask yourself: "Should I get 8GB or 16GB of RAM?"

With 8GB DDR3-2400 kits starting at just $55 -- less than many of you would spend on a lump of aluminum for your CPU -- you probably won't think twice about spending $100 to secure a 16GB kit. The same spec DDR4 memory costs ~$65 for 8GB and $125 if you want 16GB.

Image_03S.jpg

Read the full article at Tech Spot

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Decent article, I would have said 8GB is the minimum these days, but must admit, the difference between 4 and 8GB is less that I thought it would be.

I only got 16GB because it was a decent deal.

Reaction score
I bought 16 for my rig about 4years ago. Each box of 2x4gb simms was 38£. Now that was cheap :D

Ask a Question