How many actual members?532 online?

Reaction score
So what is the member status here on this forum?? I see 532 users online. But how many are actually members? Do people feel scared to actually join in or they are lurkers? I am a member on a few other forums and we see a few lurkers. But 500 and odd. No. One forum i am on has over 18000 members and i'll type that again. 18000 members. I never see anymore than 100 lurkers. Why? To those lurkers/guest! Join say hello and dont be scareed. Any comments guys???

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
There are nearly 10,000 members here :)

If you click on the number saying how many users there are online it will show you which are members and which are guests

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The reason the "users online" is quite high compared to most forums is because that number includes anyone on a page on the site - many people are reading reviews but not in the forums so its quite high :)

Hopefully a few will come across to the other side and visit the forums though!

Reaction score
Adywebb
Viewing Index
PC Review

10:41 PM Ian Cunningham
Viewing Index
PC Review

10:31 PM Jaspreet Singh Jolly
Viewing Thread
Login script with admin priveleges

10:41 PM Jockstar
Viewing Thread
You are subscribed to this thread How many actual members?532 online?

10:39 PM Sexy Bex
Viewing Thread
You are subscribed to this thread Its official, Hottest day in may for 50 years!!

10:36 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
Best Digital Camera under 100 quids!

10:27 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
Gameport

10:33 PM Guest
Viewing Index
PC Review

10:38 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
19" Monitor shopping

10:30 PM Guest
Replying to Thread
cannot remove version 4.7

10:34 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
Ten Commandments of Audio

10:40 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
Winks to add woes :S

10:31 PM Guest
Viewing Index
PC Review

10:30 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
Windows Nemesis

Viewing Thread
Connecting wireless laptop PC to Airport base station

10:26 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
Windows XP Pro Blue Screen Error Crash

10:32 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
L2-cache not detected by Win XP Pro Sp1.

Viewing Archives

10:28 PM Guest
Viewing Index
PC Review

10:26 PM Guest
Viewing Thread
WebClient/Publisher Temp Files won't delete

Display: Per Page:
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 > Last »

Ok. 5 members nd the rest guests. So why?? Are they scared?

Reaction score
Jockstar said:
So what is the member status here on this forum?? I see 532 users online. But how many are actually members? Do people feel scared to actually join in or they are lurkers? I am a member on a few other forums and we see a few lurkers. But 500 and odd. No. One forum i am on has over 18000 members and i'll type that again. 18000 members. I never see anymore than 100 lurkers. Why? To those lurkers/guest! Join say hello and dont be scareed. Any comments guys???

from the time ive been here ive noticed most people find pcr by google or a similar search siteand when it says 532 online there will be no more than 10-20 registered members.......................the rest will be guests.

they read the questions get what they came for and are out of here!!!!!

i notice that some people join up that cant find questions that relate to them
so these people will join and post 3-4 times and then sling their hooks.

but what really confuses me is when people sign up and they dont post u just got to ask WHY BOTHER?

Reaction score
psd99 said:
from the time ive been here ive noticed most people find pcr by google or a similar search siteand when it says 532 online there will be no more than 10-20 registered members.......................the rest will be guests.

i notice that some people join up that cant find questions that relate to them
so these people will join and post 3-4 times and then sling their hooks.

but what really confuses me is when people sign up and they dont post u just got to ask WHY BOTHER?

Same. Scared? Maybe? Nothing to add? Who knows? Same with any forum though. But i still think the same as you. WHY BOTHER? Come say hello. We wont bite....... Unless you ask. :cool: :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you have to register to play in the arcade so most members sign up and never post because they play games instead

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I advise folks on few things like cameras, hifi and computers and keep getting mail from folks every now and then. This is of course nothing to do with the forum. Couple of weeks back I got one such message from the US (someone I know gave my reference and urged him to contact me) and I responded, it was about a decision to buy a digital camera. As ususal I give my opinion on a few within the budget specified. Yesterday I got the message (one liner) that they bought the camera. I was curious to know which one they decided on and reponded with a question "which one?". I get a reply with just one line of text saying "The one you said I should get". It was a hopeless situation for me since I did not actually remember what I had advised him to buy. Anyway I had to go through my old mail and dig it up to see what I had advised them to get. There were three models I had picked and I still do not know what they got :eek:

What I am trying to say here is that folks do not even have the courtesy to respond in a decent manner via email. Surely a couple of lines would not hurt and if the model was indicated it would amout to feedback for me. If this is the standard of how people communicate, what do you expect from them on the forum?

Here a bunch of people come for help, get it and also come back to either thank the adviser or give feedback so that others may benefit. Majority of folks do not even know how to communicate well and are extremely reserved, the lurkers you talk about on the forums, not just this one but so many others as well are such kind of people who have nothing to contribute.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
psd99 said:

I can see you're point, but in my opinion sites like this one are here for two reasons; Firstly, as a discussion area - to sort out problems and debate issues, and secondly as a resource - information that has accumulated as a result of the first reason.

I don't join every website where I find information, but I do think that when people have a problem they need sorting it's nice to say "thanks!" for help given :)

I think most visitors are just browsing for info - but the number of members is going up at a rapid rate!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Quad

I agree with your comments. When I was growing up, my mum and dad would say 2 things: good manners do not cost a thing and always remember to say please and thank you. I try to follow this example and also to pass these thoughts to my children.

In my day to day life I am astounded by the lack of courtesy and kindness. It would be easy to get very cynical but perhaps all you can try to do is live to your own standards and not expect too much from others. When they deliver the goods, it's quite heartwaming!!

Bye for now!

Gabs x

Ask a Question