How long does it take to install Ubuntu ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
answer : two days. :)

You can't use an 'old' system these days, it gotta be pretty new, 5 year old max, well not if you choose one of the latest releases.

Ubuntu 12.10 is the torture of the day.

If you thought the Windows UAC was bad, try Ubuntu, it asks you for a password just to open your browser, every time. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what "version" I have ... Edgy, Fiesty, Dapper, Breezy, Hoary or Warty ... you need to know this so you can access the right suppository. That's where you get the really needed "stuff" from.

You really need to forget Windows, although that's what they call the panels that open when you click something that opens in a window. Remember that the close, min/max buttons are on the left, except when they are on the right. My mouse even got confused.

Still cannot "install" the nVidia drivers, but then it doesn't really matter in fairy, err, pixie, err I mean gnome. It's dull anyway. It did install the monitor correctly, one up on Windows. :)

I got rid of Firefox, naw, I don't like it, installed Chromium, that's the Linux version of Google Chrome, don't try to install Google Chrome, it says it's not a trusted source. :lol:

I do like the free "office" programs. :thumb:

Tired now. Time for bed ... just gonna download Suse first. :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is what I hear, what you've just confirmed Mr Mucks. Ubuntu seems to have lost favour amongst the Linux community mostly for behaving as badly as Redmond's finest. They are so full of their self-importance now that when you link to the download page they blatantly ask for cash donations. I don't know of any other distros that so openly beg for cash. They make their money selling and maintaining server software, they are not short of a bob or two yet now Ubuntu seem to be flying in the face of the whole Open Source ethos.

Plus, as you have found out, their latest distro seems to be on a par with Windows 8, in other words - 'we are the best so accept what we give you'. Huh.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu (there's also a Debian based Mint distro) but it is a whole load different.

As the Mint distro I have is Unbuntu based I wonder whether Steam will work in it. I will probably try and find out.

As an aside, I am having probs with Java in Mint, I keep getting error notices when using certain apps although the apps still work, the notifications are annoying.

Which office suite do Ubuntu include? Open Office? Libre Office? I really like Libre Office. A lot :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
They use the Libre Office, it rather good, seems a few 'distros' are doing the same.

I had a look at Steam, I have one game off them, I don't 'see' anything Ubuntu specific, just Linux in general. I may be missing something.

You right about the begging notice, especially on the download page. :lol:

What uses Java then?

I'm gonna go back to Suse, KDE, I liked it before, will see how easy it is this time. :lol:

ps, may try that Mint as well, just had a look at it, I like KDE :))

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am reformatting my IBM Thinkpad and starting from scratch. It is as fast with Linux as my new Samsung laptop bought two months ago with Windows 7. :confused: I am not giving it up as it will be my main Linux rig and the Samsung will be windows exclusively.:nod:

I had used Ubuntu all along and also played around with Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" MATE as well as KDE. The KDE is a great looking desktop which I am about to install. I will have the choice of Cinnamon, Mate as well as KDE in a single OS which I can choose at login time. :user:

Mint happens to be much faster as well as less resource hungry compared to Ubuntu. The reason Ubuntu is not favoured and Mint is because of all you said in the post above and if I may add "Unity desktop"

Ok I have a lot to do before calling it a day. Will chime in later......

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry to report, but Mint is an almost complete failure.

I do like KDE, far better looking than Gnome, however, in Mint it still lacked lustre ... for some unknown reason I only single click in Linux, did a lot of waiting around. :rolleyes:

One major drawback was ... crash, would I like to send in a report, crash, err, no thanks then. Not a good sign, I don't want to install this program.

So I thought I'd have a look at the 64bit version of Mint. I will be installing a 64 bit version of Linux. This was a big mistake, crashed even more often, gave up PDQ.

Well that left me one contender, Suse.

I must say there is no comparison, well there is, and I'm here to tell you that Suse is miles ahead of the others. Way ahead.

I have a named nVidia graphics card, I have single click, I have all other necessary 'drivers' I need, and they have their own font that just makes it look way better out of the box.. :dance:

I do need to setup suppositories so I can go get them nice Superkaramba widgets, and other updates. Now where is Chromium. :)

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
bugger ... Boinc just will not work properly, and, it seems it may need a lobotomy. crap. :mad:

:cry:

muckshifter

Reaction score
ok, we have a winner. :thumb:

I went and got Vista out of the rubbish. :lol:

Linux is just not ready for me. :)

Reaction score
Ah, a twist ending... Too bad it can't be considered an upgrade.

muckshifter

Reaction score
wasn't for the want of trying ... just flippin easier to use Vista in the end ... it will do all that I want.

Sad to say but Ubuntu actually did work. It's Vista compared to Suse though, but Suse would not run the one program I wanted to use.

I even went back to Mint, damned if I could even get the thing to install to the HD, never mind run from DVD without crashing. Even Win ME installed and ran, with a few tweaks.

So I'm back to square one with my original thread and quote ... how long does Vista take to update. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just to comment.... MInt has been working fine for me for around three years now. Latest version of Suse initially installed then on reboot crashed - and that was the end of that.

I did run Suse 3 or 4 years ago and after all the hassle of installing stuff to make media work (audio and video, basically) it worked fine.

Blowed if I know what all the glitches are with individual machines/setups but it does pain me to say most windows installs work ok.

Having said that, done a fresh install of XP SP2 32 Bit to a 750Gb drive this evening - and each time I connect online it freezes :confused:

Doncha just luvvit?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Linux is a strange beast.

Floppy, I remember the "work" one had to do with Suse and was well prepared, I even found some of my old notes ... didn't need them.

It was the only one that found and installed drivers for the nVidia 8500 graphics card. All hardware was identified and worked out of the box. I did not have to go find any repositories, they were already there.

I forgot to go get Chromium via the 'Yast' installer and went to the web site instead. Downloaded, just like in windows. and was very pleasantly surprised when it said it added that repository to it's listing. :eek:

The program I wanted was Boinc, I really do detest it, it's crap, a well suited 'program' for a Linux geek. It is listed in Yast, easy to install just like any other program you care to name. It, however, refuses to obey the Boinc Manager, just will not work.

If I have to replace Vista, I'll take Suse, it is really a pretty good version of Linux.

I think we've had this discussion before. In the end its down to, what you can get working to your liking. :D

side note:
I issue a challenge to any command line Linux person wishes to take on the task of getting Boinc to work satisfactory in Suse ... I'm serious, no prize except in knowing you converted another windows user to the dark side. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
https://build.opensuse.org/package/...USE:12.1&rev=57da89b1472c58351c37b527d5d687c8

If you do only the basic installation as described above, BOINC manager
will not be able to automatically connect to the client. To connect the
client you will be required to give the GUI RPC password every time you
start BOINC manager. That is not a bug, it is a security feature to
prevent other users from using the manager to manipulate the client,
change your projects, etc.

If you don't want to put the password every time you run the BOINC
manager, you can:

1. disable the password at all [*not recommended*]
To make the GUI passwordless, do "echo > /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg" (which replaces the contents of
the file with a newline) and then restart boinc-client (with e.g.
"/sbin/service boinc-client restart").

2. *with boinc-client-6.4.7-1.r17542svn and newer* it is enough if
you just add your user account into the "boinc" group, e.g. by
typing /usr/sbin/usermod -G boinc -a username

3. *with older versions* the procedure is a bit more complicated:
Boinc (the user named boinc) owns /var/lib/boinc/ and all the
files and directories in it so you will not be able to edit those
files easily from your regular user account. The steps below add
your username to the boinc group and adjust some permissions so
that BOINC manager will automatically connect to BOINC client
whenever you start the manager from your regular Linux user
account. Also you will be able to edit files in the BOINC
directory without becoming root. As you type in each command
below, substitute your Linux username wherever you see username.
Enter the following commands in a terminal, as root:
1. /usr/sbin/usermod -G boinc -a username
2. chmod g+rw /var/lib/boinc
3. chmod g+rw /var/lib/boinc/*.*
4. ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg /home/username/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
5. chown boinc:boinc /home/username/gui_rpc_auth.cfg
6. Finally, logout and login again so that your new group membership takes effect.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, nice find ... now then

ignore 1.

do 2.

ignore 3.

... seems easy enough, maybe, I think. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK, I'm instal, err, re-installing Suse. :blush:

I'll start a new Linux thread. It'll have an 18+ rating to all who care to view as it will contain some bad language. :p

I really want to crack this. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
OK, I'm instal, err, re-installing Suse. :blush:

I'll start a new Linux thread. It'll have an 18+ rating to all who care to view as it will contain some bad language. :p

I really want to crack this. :)

Smoke cleared? :fool:

Whilst we are waiting, here's what I found out about Ubuntu 12.10, Unity and nVidia drivers quite recently — an unexperienced Ubuntu was in way over his with this issue.

Once upon a time... No: It was a stark and dormy night...

1. Unity — Ubuntu's default desktop environment (a total POS in my humble opinion) needs 3-D composting compositing in order to work.

2. Ubuntu 12.10 no longer has a "classic" 2-D fallback desktop login option installed per default.

3. Although the open source "nouveau" driver is enough for Unity's 3D support, there have been MANY cases where compositing is/gets disabled (upper panel disappears, desktop is "wonky" etc..

4. The easiest place/way to thwack compositing back into submission would have been simply to tweak a line in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration file. Alas, many "modern" distros no longer create it per default.

5. Nvidia's "8-series cards" work with "Nvidia-common" driver (available in "Additional Drivers" — keep on reading.)

6. "Linux-headers-generic" is a dependency for "nvidia-common" package... yet — and this is a major SNAFU — the "nvidia-common" packagers have NOT included "linux-headers-generic" in package dependencies. OTOH, "linux-headers-generic" is not included in Ubuntu 12.10's "base install" either, so it needs to be installed before doing anything else.

So... let's proceed:

1. Make sure your system is up-to-date: Open the "Software-updater" and let it do its job.

Ubuntu-Software-Center-Unity-Dash.jpg

software-updater.jpg

Reboot if asked.

2. In terminal,

Code:
sudo apt-get install jockey-common
It'll ask you for your password. Note that the cursor won't move while you type it.

Jockey-common SHOULD be there by default, so it should say "you already have the latest version installed". If not, it says (among other things) "yada yada... the following NEW packages will be installed... yada yada do you want to continue [Y/n?]" Type "y", hit enter. Wait until done.

3. Next, in terminal,

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
Wait until done. Reboot.

4. Click on the gear icon on the top right corner of your screen and click on "System Settings" from that menu, click on Software Sources (our you can click on the Ubuntu button and search for "Sources"):

4EOKL.png

5. Click on the Additional drivers tab:

CV4K8.png

As per default, you are using the [open source] Nouveau driver. Choose the "Recommended" Nvidia option (with your card, it should be "nvidia-current"). Click on "Apply changes"; it will download and install the driver. Reboot when finished.

Or... do you want the latest driver? (Make sure you have linux-headers-generic installed.)

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
http://tech.sixcolumns.com/2012/11/...eased-how-to-install-it-in-ubuntu-12-1012-04/

Item Last: Unity is utter crap. Look at chapter 11. "Using Fast Desktop Environments"... HERE.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mint turned out to be a nightmare, installed it three times and it just behaved badly. I decided instead to install Ubuntu 12.10 and have different desktop environments installed, so far I tried LDXE and found it to be super fast :dance:

I am now installing Kubuntu Desktop environment. After its done will customize everything and by the end of the day my IBM Thinkpad will be all ready for action.:user:

Yesterday was at friends place for a music session and had a good time listening to his new speakers Ravel Studio. He also has his rig setup with an Apple computer which is installed with Snow Leopard. He was crying literally as the OS was crashing all the time with updates. according to him Apple has yet to figure out the issue and some more updates are expected. So it is not just Linux and Windows users who have problems, Apple users are also in hot waters so to say, if that is any help!:lol:

Ask a Question