How Easy/Hard is it to fit a Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer REV3?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one of those Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer REV3 but am unsure on how hard or easy they are to do. I've read in some forums people over tightening the damn thing to hard and its broke there GPU, and some have ripped off there GPU trying to get the existing fan and heatsink combo off!

I want one becuase I want to overclock me card to try and boost the perfermance to that of a 9800XT, and i know my existing fan/heatsink isnt upto the challenge. Plus its supposed to be super silent :p .

Heres what i want:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62046

(see, its under a tenner, and i'll be getting £250 graphics card performance from a £140 card!)

Reaction score
Well you can push your core speed to 430Mhz and your memory to 352MHz without artifacting and that is on the standard reference cooler that the both of us have.

£13.20 delivered from overclockers.co.uk if you want it though. Was thinking about it myself actually so i know its safely overclocked and cooler.

Do you know that it does not cool the memory too? just the core.

Make sure you use some Arctic Silver 5 paste though.

The reference cooler looks easy enough to get off - just get some tweezers and unclip the stock HSF from the underside. unplug the fan too. keep it though, incase it breaks. Personally i would go for OCUK as more reputable company. HOWEVER...

...thinking of Ebuyer i just placed a massive order.

Dual 12" cold cathode kit UV
Dual 12" cold cathode kit Green
UV Lazer light
Blue Lazer LED
Stereo headset with mic attachment
Black multimedia wireless keyboard
Black and Silver Chic 2220 Optical Wireless multimedia mouse
80mm multicolour LED fan
50 Ridisc Ritek G04 dyed DVD-r's
100 Black DVD cases with insert clips
Belkin pro series 3.5mm jack to RCA stereo lead

...Will let ya know if it all goes ok!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh boy. I have an Arctic VGA cooler on one of my 9800 Pro's, it reduced temps by 18C. It's silent, it's good and you'd have to be a complete klutz to overtighten and break anything. I mean, like, really stoopid. I used Arctic Silver 5.0 as thermal compound. It cost £8.50 + p & p from overclockers.co.uk or overclock.co.uk, I can't remember offhand.

The dearer version fits other cards other than the 9800 Pro, that's the only difference. If you have a 9800 Pro or variation thereof, order the cheaper version, it will fit.

As for E-Buyer, gawd help you, I stopped using them over two years ago, they are absolute shite.

I've had many, many disagreements with them. They really are absymal. And whe you work out what you save, it's peanuts compared to buying from a reputable online supplier.

FWIW, only two suppliers I can honestly recommend are overclock.co.uk and Kustom PC's, although Kustom PC's are a little dearer, in my experience they are the absolute best if you get a problem.

And I gotta say this again, I'd rather eat poop than use e-buyer, such has been my bad experiences with them.

Actually, come to think of it, I've never had any problems with Dabs although I've read of those who have. Credit where credit's due, Dabs seem OK, which surprises me.

Reaction score
I know they are shite but where else you pick up 2x12" cold cathode lights with dual inverter for £2.93 and thats including VAT?

Had major problem with Dabs one time - ordered a Netgear DG814 modem router when our previous one blew up - they kept emailing us about problems with the transaction and customer support was totally naf. could not have happened at worser time - forced to use pay per minute dial up internet and it took over a week to get it sorted - in the end we cancelled the order and went elsewhere because we got no-where with them.

I had use Dabs previously though - with great consequences - ordered a Cat5e cable and 6pm one evening and it arrived at 9am the next morning. Free delivery.

They were ok before they changed their whole website and increased prices a tad. They now charge lots for delivery as opposed to the previous "£1.50 handling charge"

the best prices on major components (excluding ebuyer's) are from aria.co.uk - they are pretty good and have the most catchy customer support on hold audio sequence of any company ive ever phoned..of course its better if you dont actually get put on hold but you know...

what bad experiences you had with Ebuyer then? Mate ordered all his computer components (the one that wanted to use vaseline) from them and they turned up ok - ive heard that the only bad thing about them is the returns service?

Chrissy P

Reaction score
Just been looking at the Kustom PC site and i see what you mean about prices being a little higher...

System blower UV Red £10.50 including VAT KustomPcs's
System blower UV Red £1.76 including VAT Ebuyer

I can see why so many people use Ebuyer but at the end of the day if i knew i was going to get messed around i would take the more expensive route...

Ask a Question