How do you switch e-mail identities in microsoft outlook?

Gary & Susan

I have microsoft outlook, not outlook express. My ISP
helped me set up an e-mail account for myself and one for
my wife, but they were unable to tell me how to switch
from one identity to another. They knew how to do it on
outlook express, but not microsoft outlook. Can anyone
help?
Thanks in advance!

Gary & Susan

Is version 2000. (If that isn't what you need you'll have
to tell me where/how to get the specifics.) Thanks, Gary
Care to provide your version so we can provide an answer?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
I have microsoft outlook, not outlook express. My ISP
helped me set up an e-mail account for myself and one for
my wife, but they were unable to tell me how to switch
from one identity to another. They knew how to do it on
outlook express, but not microsoft outlook. Can anyone
help?
Thanks in advance!

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Well, we're getting warmer, but for a version that old you'd need to provide
your mail support mode as well. Line 2 of Help | About if you don't know.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Gary & Susan said:
Is version 2000. (If that isn't what you need you'll have
to tell me where/how to get the specifics.) Thanks, Gary
Care to provide your version so we can provide an answer?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
I have microsoft outlook, not outlook express. My ISP
helped me set up an e-mail account for myself and one for
my wife, but they were unable to tell me how to switch
from one identity to another. They knew how to do it on
outlook express, but not microsoft outlook. Can anyone
help?
Thanks in advance!

.

Gary & Susan

It says "Internet Mail Only".
Appreciate you patience.
Gary
[...]

Ick.
If you're using Internet Mail Only mode, you cannot set up individual
Outlook profiles as you could with the full version of Outlook. Instead, you
would you need to set up separate OS level user profiles first. That is the
only way to enable separate Outlook "profiles" with IMO.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Gary & Susan said:
It says "Internet Mail Only".
Appreciate you patience.
Gary
Well, we're getting warmer, but for a version that old you'd need to provide
your mail support mode as well. Line 2 of Help | About if you don't know.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Is version 2000. (If that isn't what you need you'll have
to tell me where/how to get the specifics.) Thanks, Gary
Care to provide your version so we can provide an answer?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Gary & Susan" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I have microsoft outlook, not outlook express. My ISP
helped me set up an e-mail account for myself and one
for
my wife, but they were unable to tell me how to switch
from one identity to another. They knew how to do it on
outlook express, but not microsoft outlook. Can anyone
help?
Thanks in advance!

.

.

Gary & Susan

Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you just said.
I'm guessing I have 4 options: (1) go buy new s/w, (2) set
up "separate OS level user profiles" and I have no idea
what these are much less how to set them up, (3) switch
from IMO to "the full version of Outlook (and again, I
have no idea what this means and if it is something one
can easily do (4) switch to Outlook Express (but it is
Version 5, which I thought was even older than the
Microsoft Outlook). If you want to offer a suggestion,
I'll promise not to bother you any more. ...Again,
thanks, Gary (PS: I'm now going to bed. Will check your
response tomorrow.)
wrote in message
I have microsoft outlook, not outlook express. My ISP
helped me set up an e-mail account for myself and one
for
my wife, but they were unable to tell me how to switch
from one identity to another. They knew how to do it on
outlook express, but not microsoft outlook. Can anyone
help?
Thanks in advance!

.

.

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You haven't really explained what it is you need to do and why.
There is no such thing as "identities" in Outlook. Outlook uses profiles for
users who want separate email accounts and/or separate information stores.
The version and mode of Outlook you are using does not even permit separate
profiles unless you first create separate operating system logons.
For information on the difference between IMO and the full version of
Outlook, look here:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/choosingmode.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

wrote in message
I have microsoft outlook, not outlook express. My
ISP
helped me set up an e-mail account for myself and one
for
my wife, but they were unable to tell me how to
switch
from one identity to another. They knew how to do
it on
outlook express, but not microsoft outlook. Can
anyone
help?
Thanks in advance!

.

.

.

Jean-Claude DAVIN

There are 2 easy ways to solve your problem :

1. Create 2 different mail accounts with your present profile and set which
is "default" - Rather boring !

2. Set up Outlook for "companies or workgroups (You might need the original
CD to do so)
Then setup 2 different profiles (1 for you and another for your wife)
Each profile should contain a different .pst file 'repository' for your
mails, appointments and so on. Make sure to set Outlook to 'ask' which
profile should be used when starting and that's it ! You have 2 different
Outlook profiles whithin the same Windows session.
Enjoy !

JC