How do you overclock a processor?

Reaction score
Hi i am thinking about overclocking my current processor. anyone know HOW to overclock exactly? sorry i am a noob and i read somewhere that overclocking can increase ur pc performance by a lot. is there like a step by step guide or something?

thx for help guys

Reaction score
im sure a serch on google would return many step by step manuals.
some companies even offer software thats compatible with some mother boards to "softly" overclock your machine.

OVERCLOCKING CAN FAIL YOUR CPU

but its basically a matter or increasing the multplier beyound the chips ability. although it can handle a slight jump, an exccessive multplication of the bus will over work and fry the chip.

Reaction score
ya i know i only want to overclock a very little bit.i only want to overclock a amd x2 4200+ , so it can reach atleast 4600+ levels. when i do search google it comes up with a bunch of tests that people did to compare unoverclocked with OC, i cant find a single step by step intrsuction for amd 4200+
is there a software that can do it for my processor? or cn u teach me how to real quickly?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
If your getting the board you say your getting (Asus A8V) then its just a matter of going into the bios and going to there overclocking feature which is extrememly easy to use, as you have a choise of manual overclock and auto overclock. The auto overclock feature has setting like 2%, 3%, 5%, 8% and 10% overclock, you choose how much you want to go, and hey presto, you've overclocked your comp. But you should only do it in stages, dont take any giant leaps like goign straight into 10%. Also take note of the temprature before the overclocking and after, if the temprature has gone up crazy it wont justify the overclock and over time will just damage the CPU.

Reaction score
you also need good cooling ... i would think people that over clocked there X2 4200 to 4600 would have water cooling or something ...otherwise your sytem would fry :p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hi i am thinking about overclocking my current processor. anyone know HOW to overclock exactly?
Turn on your Oven to max, leave to warm up for 5mins, place CPU in oven and wait an hour.

:thumb:

Reaction score
to be honest i dont think u will have to overclock that system for a while ... see how it runs at stock for a while and if you feel you want an extra boost the OC it ;)

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
to be honest i dont think u will have to overclock that system for a while ... see how it runs at stock for a while and if you feel you want an extra boost the OC it ;)

not even for gaming?

Reaction score
Well not really ... for benchmarks yes but gaming you can overclock when u feel ur sytem is slow ... which it wont for a while! ... i suppose if you want the best out of your components go for it ! but otherwise dont bother

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If I walk in to Town, it takes me 5mins

If I take the car I can do it in 1min ... if the lights stay green.

If I run in to town it takes me 3mins ... but boy, am I Nucking Fackard.

The car is faster, I'll take the car. :p

Bad analogy 'cos I need a walking stick and it takes me 10min to do 100yards

Reaction score
Yer but not straight away ;) ... you need to get fit first and stable ... and then take a bike ... and then a car :D

Reaction score
k, im thinking about getting a 3800+ instead of the 4200+ so i can save more money like $100 . they are both pretty much exactly the same only 3800+ is 2.0GHZ and 4200+ is 2.2GHZ . do u guys really think the 4200+ is worth the extra money?
so do u guys think i should get 3800+ x2 and just overclock it by 5% so it get to 4400+ speeds? this a good idea.? i saw a bunch of money! what do u guys think

Reaction score
yer but if u spend that extra $100 and get a better CPU not only will it be more future proof it'll give you better speeds in games you may aswell if you have the money to spend ... go for it! and then u culd OC it still and be FASTER!

Ask a Question