How do you keep your PC running smoothly?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure you all know the feeling, after a year or two your system seems to slow down and become a little less responsive. I'm at that stage with my current PC now (although it's nowhere near bad enough for a format).

It's no doubt due to of all the software installed, services running etc... that build up over time.

However, I'm interested in how people here keep things running smoothly :nod:

My routine is something like this at the moment:
  • Defrag every month
  • Full AV/Scan every month (they are always active in the background, hence I don't often do a full scan - it takes too long ;)).
  • Backup each week
  • Check msconfig for new startup items every so often to see if anything like quicktime/itunes/etc... has managed to sneak back in.
  • Occasional run of CCleaner to have a clearup

Reaction score
Much the same as you Ian, I tend to check add/remove programme and see if there's anything i just don't use. Then anti-virus, anti spyware, hijack this, msconfig and then i usually do a scan disk then defrag. :)

Reaction score
Masking tape, adding an extra fan and hoping it last's another week.
After all a mess pc is for a few months not years!!!

Oh and of course roughly what you do too.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've honestly never known my main PC to slow down through clogging, both with XP Pro and Vista Home Premium.

About all I do is backup stuff to dual layer DVD's then delete those files; use Crap Cleaner and physically delete unwanted stuff.

I don't even de-frag :eek: Well, not yet anyway.

And in case you're wondering, the free copy of Diskeeper I received for the review was good for one install only, the serial number they gave me had expired when I changed from XP to Vista, so the hell with them :)

There are freebie defrag utilities about, I shall use one of those.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I defrag; occasionally run chkdsk; tidy-up with CCleaner; I also check the logs (in Vista) to see whether it is reporting anything in "Problems and Solutions" .... I also check the Event Logs, but I have to Google a lot to discover the meaning of some items :rolleyes: or, ask in here, of course :nod: Occasionally, I back-up, photos mainly, I haven't got a regular routine though, because I usually replicate pics on both PCs (still not a substitute for "proper" backing up, I know.)

But like Flopps, I haven't noticed any slow-downs either. I now use Auslogic for defragging XP and Vista, which seems to work a treat (recommended by Mr Mucks in another thread, some time ago:thumb: )

Periodically, I have a clear-out of old e-mails... recently, to my shame, I discovered more than 1,000 in my in-box - all read. :lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I wash my hands before sitting down at the PC ... does that count? ;)

Oh, sorry, that's how I keep my PC clean. :D

I don't do much, it's all on automatic. :thumb:

:user:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I removed Windows from my computers in 2005. Problems solved.

:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas said:
I removed Windows from my computers in 2005. Problems solved.

:D

I hope you recycled them in a enviroment friendly way .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Andrew C said:
I tend to format every few weeks or so.

:eek:

I use plenty of 20/50 oil and WD40 PC then Slips along nicely when I throw it at the dog:lol:

Last edited:

Ask a Question