How do I uninstall Windows features

Daniel

Hi

I have Vista Ultimate.

I need to get some hard drive space back, can I uninstall
the bits of Windows I don't use, such as Games?

Also I have .net 3.0 can I uninstall .Net 1.1 amd the 1.1 update?

thanks

Daniel

Patrick Keenan

Daniel said:
Hi

I have Vista Ultimate.

I need to get some hard drive space back, can I uninstall
the bits of Windows I don't use, such as Games?

Also I have .net 3.0 can I uninstall .Net 1.1 amd the 1.1 update?

thanks

Daniel

First, if you need drive space, the small amount that you will get from
removing features isn't likely to help for long. Get another drive -
either clone your existing drive to a new and larger one, or add a drive for
the data that you're collecting. Where I am, 500 gig desktop drives are
around $100. Cloning software can be had for free.

Second, the .NET updates are for different things, and if you need any of
them, you likely need them all. Version 3 does not account for version 1
or 2 - it isn't the same as installing XP SP2 and not having to install SP1.

HTH
-pk

Andrew Murray

I assume you can uninstall games (you can uninstall games in previous
versions of Windows) through the usual method - from control panel, and
using the Add/Remove programs, or the Vista equivalent process.

As to .Net Framework, I believe you need all the versions as the subsequent
one is not accumulative. So you need 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0/3.5 and all the hotfix
patches. They are not that large; I wouldn't think they 'd take that much
space, especially on a 320 GB Hard drive

There are other ways to clear up disk space; do the disk clean up wizard,
get rid of temp internet files and other junk.

Run the utility (free) from www.ccleaner.com

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
A bigger drive is the best solution. There really isn't an uninstall for
features. you can choose to enable or disable the feature, but that
doesn't really remove the files from the system. Manually removing the
files can affect the ability to install packages like updates, that attempt
to service any components that may use those files. So if those files were
missing you may not be able to install a package like a service pack, if
one or more of the components had system files manually deleted.
As for uninstall .NET 1.0 or .NET 1.1, that would be up to the programs
that you have installed and whether any of them have a dependancy on having
an earlier version available to be able to run properly.
A program may require an earlier version, so it's hard to state whether
.NET can be safely removed or not.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]