How do I shut off 'reveal codes' in Word?

I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

gordo

fgetulio said:
I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't
know
how to shut it off. Can anyone help me

There is no such thing as "Reveal Codes" in Word. There is a Task Pane
option to reveal formatting. Or perhaps, as stated in another reply, that
you mean Show/Hide, represented by the Pilcrow on the Standard Tool Bar.
This only displays non-printing characters used for some formatting tasks.

Gordo

Aaron

"Reveal Codes" is in WordPerfect, and is something Word should have. With
it, it is easy to control formatting and saves a huge amount of time and
effort.
Aaron

Graham Mayor

Given that Word does not use 'codes' to format the document, but is style
based, revealing non-existent 'codes' might be difficult to achieve!

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

radiodave

To turn off the display of field codes such as {xe "Index entry"},
{HYPERLINK}, etc.,

* In Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office Button > Word Options > Display
Hidden Text and/or Show All Formatting Marks.
* In earlier versions of Word, select Tools > Options > View > Hidden Text
and/or All.

Note both have other check boxes for paragraph marks etc. as mentioned below.

Alt-F9 only toggles between text and field codes for field codes that are
normally dispalyed as text, like page numbers, linked graphics, and table of
contents. Alt-F9 doesn't display or hide hidden field codes like index
entries that don't have any text to display. It would be nice if there was a
keyboard shortcut to turn toggle those hidden entries.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Only XE and TC fields are formatted as Hidden. HYPERLINK is an ordinary
field code.

JungleJaneBelize

Although the question is old, I will still answer it because it might help
someone else who is looking for it. There IS an option in Word 2007 to show
or hide field codes, which I think is what this asker is looking for. It can
be fixed by clicking on the Windows logo on the top left, then go to Word
options, the Advanced, then under "Show document content" remove the
checkmark from "Show field codes instead of their values".
Good luck!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I suspect what the user is actually asking about is nonprinting characters,
which are toggled with the Show/Hide ¶ button in Word 2007 as in previous
versions. It's in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

Joined
Mar 31, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If you see field codes such as {EMBED}, {HYPERLINK}, etc., then
press Alt+F9 to turn off display of field codes.

If you see non-printing characters such as paragraph marks, dots
between words, etc., then see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm .

fgetulio wrote:

> I must have turned on the 'reveal codes' option in Word and now I don't know
> how to shut it off. Can anyone help me
thank you. UGH! You helped!