How do I set my Word doc to type 1/2 as a fraction of one space?



At one time my keyboard automatically reduced a fraction - like 1/2 or 7/8
to a one character fraction rather requiring 3 spaces. I typed the three
space entry but it displayed a one character on the screen and printed it out
as only one character.
It no longer does that automatically and now I can't find the place to
change it back to where it will.
Can anyone assist me in locating the place to make this modification?


Herb Tyson [MVP]

I don't know about 7/8, but 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 are all done using AutoCorrect
settings. If you're using Word 2003, try Tools - AutoCorrect Options -
AutoCorrect, and make sure a) Replace text as you type is enabled and that
b) entries exist in the list for the fractions you want converted.

7/8 doesn't seem to be one of the default ones. However, if you have a font
that can produce â…ž (such as Unicode 215E), you could create an AutoCorrect
entry for it as well.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

I've never actually gotten around to doing that--but I don't use fractions
much. I do have keyboard shortcuts for ¼, ½, and ¾ instead of using the
AutoFormat option because (a) I got tired of short dates occasionally
turning into fractions and (b) the conversion of 1/2 to ½ works only when
it's freestanding, not when it follows another number, such as 2½.

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question