How do I replace WMP with Media Player Classic?

Mike M.

I'm trying to replace Windows Media Player 6.4 in Win2k sp3 with Media
Player Classic. The doc says:

4. [for 2000/XP systems]
Delete the file "mplayer2.exe" present in these directories
\WINNT\system32\dllcache
and
\Program Files\Windows Media Player
5. Rename the executable in "mplayer2.exe"
6. Copy it in the same directories from which you have delete the
original
7. When Windows ask if it should restore the replacen file with a
backup
copy answer "NO";
at the following question "keep the unknown versions of the file?"
answer "YES".

I don't seem to have \WINNT\system32\dllcache and when I try to delete
mplayer2.exe in \Program Files\Windows Media Player, it just keeps
coming back! How do I substitute MPC for WMP?

Daze N. Knights

Mike said:
[...]

Why "replace" it? I have *both* WMP6.4 and Media Player Classic on my
98SE system, but only use the MPC. Just install the MPC and set its file
settings (in View>Options>Formats) to play the desired file formats,
then open the WMP and untick all of the boxes in View>Options>Formats.
Thereafter, whenever you play one of the selected file formats, the MPC
will open and play; the MPC will, however, still be there should you
ever want it.

elaich

How do I substitute MPC for WMP?

Why substitute it? I have both installed, and made MPC the default player
for files that would use WMP. I never see WMP unless I'm streaming from a
site that requires it.

Hoppy

Hi Mike ...

The WINNT directory is on Win2K & NT systems. If you're using XP, you
probably will not have that folder.

Also, assuming you know what you're doing, following are some changes I made
to the author's original instructions. If you don't understand them, you
may not have any business messin' around, and I resolve myself from any
responsibility if you cause damage to your OS. However, it works whenever I
replace system files (such as Notepad) with 3rd party programs.

4. [for 2000/XP systems]
Delete "mplayer2.exe" from these directories
[XP] \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
[2000] \WINNT\system32\dllcache
- and -
\Program Files\Windows Media Player
[for 98/ME systems]
Delete "mplayer2.exe" from this directory
\Program Files\Windows Media Player

NOTE: You may need to temporarily rename C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles
directory to delete the new mplayer2.exe files;
otherwise, Windows XP will replace it with the original
mplayer2.exe file.
To view the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles and C:\Windows\system32\dllcache
directories,
launch My Computer, and go to Tools > Folder Options.
On the View tab, uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files
(Recommended)" box.
In the \ServicePackFiles\i386 directory, rename the original
mplayer2.exe file and copy in the new file.
Rename the \ServicePackFiles directory to its original name.
--
Hoppy
(e-mail address removed)
Mike wrote on Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:12:03 GMT:

I'm trying to replace Windows Media Player 6.4 in Win2k sp3 with Media
Player Classic. The doc says:

MM> 4. [for 2000/XP systems]
MM> Delete the file "mplayer2.exe" present in these directories
MM> \WINNT\system32\dllcache
MM> and
MM> \Program Files\Windows Media Player
MM> 5. Rename the executable in "mplayer2.exe"
MM> 6. Copy it in the same directories from which you have delete the
MM> original
MM> 7. When Windows ask if it should restore the replacen file with a
MM> backup
MM> copy answer "NO";
MM> at the following question "keep the unknown versions of the file?"
MM> answer "YES".

I don't seem to have \WINNT\system32\dllcache and when I try to delete
mplayer2.exe in \Program Files\Windows Media Player, it just keeps
coming back! How do I substitute MPC for WMP?

Mike M.

Hi Hoppy,

Thanks for the info. I had missed the protected files check box. I
found the dllcache folder, but I don't have a service pack folder. I
am running win2k and the install cd includes sp3.

mplayer2.exe is showing a goofy file size 5k and in properties it
shows size: 4.76 KB and size on disk: 16KB. That seems too small to be
real. mplay32.exe might be the actual application.

Anyway the substitution seems to have worked.

Thanks,
Mike

Hoppy

You're very welcome, Mike. ...glad it worked out for you.
--
Hoppy
(e-mail address removed)

Mike wrote on Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:55:45 GMT:

MM> Thanks for the info. I had missed the protected files check box. I
MM> found the dllcache folder, but I don't have a service pack folder. I
MM> am running win2k and the install cd includes sp3.

MM> mplayer2.exe is showing a goofy file size 5k and in properties it
MM> shows size: 4.76 KB and size on disk: 16KB. That seems too small to be
MM> real. mplay32.exe might be the actual application.

MM> Anyway the substitution seems to have worked.

MM> Thanks,
MM> Mike

MM> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:45:57 GMT, "Hoppy"
MM> <[email protected]> wrotF:

??>> Hi Mike ...
??>>
[...]

Margrave of Brandenburg

Google for "Media Player Classic" or "Media Player 6.4".

It's available for free.

Just take the program, put it into a folder, and associate it with all movie
types.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> "Martin R.
Howell said:
Everything. Check it out.

I looked at the feature list of the Pro (paid) one, I didn't see
anything it offers that MPC doesn't. However, it doesn't do
"everything" that MPC doesn't do...

Care to share what it does do that MPC doesn't?

Archangel

(snip)
Care to share what it does do that MPC doesn't?
Well, I have trouble with Media Player Classic opening .asx files for
groups of .wmv viewing. No trouble using MPlayer 9. Why is that?

DevilsPGD

In message <MPG.1de99b5c888e53e5989686@netnews> Archangel
(snip)
Well, I have trouble with Media Player Classic opening .asx files for
groups of .wmv viewing. No trouble using MPlayer 9. Why is that?

I couldn't tell you. In fact I can't say I use ASX files at all.