How do I prevent logoff/locking of remote computer In RemDesktop session ?

Gerd Pohlmann

I can successfully access (from a Win2000 Prof) system a WinXP Pro system through RD.

However when I connect to the remote system the user currently logged in at the remote system
is logged off (or is only the computer locked).

How do I allow this user to stay logged in and view my mouse and keyboard operations
on his screen ?

Gerd

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Gerd Pohlmann said:
I can successfully access (from a Win2000 Prof) system a WinXP Pro system through RD.

However when I connect to the remote system the user currently logged in at the remote system
is logged off (or is only the computer locked).

How do I allow this user to stay logged in and view my mouse and keyboard operations
on his screen ?

Gerd

I assume that your Remote Desktop server runs WinXP
Professional. If so then you cannot prevent this from happening.
If this is not acceptable then you have to use an alternative
product, e.g. WinVNC.

Phillip Windell

Use Remote Assistance instead of Remote Desktop.
The user has to initiate it.
I've never personally used it, so I can't help much beyond that.

Otherwise it will have to be VNC or PCAnywhere like others have suggested.

Steve MCSE MCV A+ NET+

Remote desktop will only log the current user off if you log on using a
different profile other wise you will simply be taking over their session
however they will not be able to see what you are doing. I would suggest
using net meeting which is built into all 2000/xp machines. You can also
try www.logmein.com which is free for basic remote control.

Steve

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Gerd Pohlmann said:
I can successfully access (from a Win2000 Prof) system a WinXP Pro system through RD.

However when I connect to the remote system the user currently logged in at the remote system
is logged off (or is only the computer locked).

How do I allow this user to stay logged in and view my mouse and keyboard operations
on his screen ?

Gerd

sorry, this is not true... even if you remote desktop to another machine
using the exact same id/pw that the machine is currently logged on with, the
host (computer being attached to) will logoff/logon again. This is the root
of my problem in that the logoff part causes a network disconnect and the
connection cannot then be established. I only have one ID per machine, both
passwords are the same.

Gerd Pohlmann said:
I can successfully access (from a Win2000 Prof) system a WinXP Pro system through RD.

However when I connect to the remote system the user currently logged in at the remote system
is logged off (or is only the computer locked).

How do I allow this user to stay logged in and view my mouse and keyboard operations
on his screen ?

Gerd

Sooner Al [MVP]

AFAIK Remote Assistance is not available with W2K...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sooner Al [MVP]

Well, Mr. Ungureanu suggested RA from a W2K box to an XP Pro box or am I
reading that incorrectly? The original poster is connecting from a W2K box
to an XP Pro box so that precludes RA as Mr.Ungureanu suggests...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Phillip Windell said:
Niether was Remote Desktop.
But the OS involved here is XP.

--

Sooner Al said:
AFAIK Remote Assistance is not available with W2K...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Andrei Ungureanu

yeap. you're right. You can't connect from a W2K client to an XP machine
using Remote Assistance.

Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net
Test our new EventReader!
http://www.altairtech.ca/eventreader/default2.asp?ref=au

Sooner Al said:
AFAIK Remote Assistance is not available with W2K...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Andrei Ungureanu" <contact me via www.itboard.ro> wrote in message
or you can use Remote Assistance ;)

Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net
Test our new EventReader!
http://www.altairtech.ca/eventreader/default2.asp?ref=au

Phillip Windell

I hadn't heard of that. Doesn't installing the RDP Client from the XP CD
onto the Win2k box allow it to work? It only lets RD work but not RA?

Andrei Ungureanu

I haven't tested this yet. Can you confirm this?

Andrei Ungureanu said:
yeap. you're right. You can't connect from a W2K client to an XP machine
using Remote Assistance.

Phillip Windell

Haven't tried it either,..that's why I was asking. The be honest I have
never,..ever,..used RA at all. I have only used RD.

--

Andrei Ungureanu said:
yeap. you're right. You can't connect from a W2K client to an XP machine
using Remote Assistance.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Remote Assistance is only available with XP platforms and Windows 2003
platforms...

--

Phillip Windell said:
I hadn't heard of that. Doesn't installing the RDP Client from the XP
CD
onto the Win2k box allow it to work? It only lets RD work but not RA?

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Andrei Ungureanu" <contact me via www.itboard.ro> wrote in message
yeap. you're right. You can't connect from a W2K client to an XP machine
using Remote Assistance.

Sooner Al [MVP]

And Vista...:)

--

Andrei Ungureanu said:
I haven't tested this yet. Can you confirm this?

Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net
Test our new EventReader!
http://www.altairtech.ca/eventreader/default2.asp?ref=au

I hadn't heard of that. Doesn't installing the RDP Client from the XP
CD
onto the Win2k box allow it to work? It only lets RD work but not
RA?

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Andrei Ungureanu" <contact me via www.itboard.ro> wrote in message
yeap. you're right. You can't connect from a W2K client to an XP machine
using Remote Assistance.

Phillip Windell

But from which *side*? The person asking for help,..or the person giving
the help? Obviously the one asking for the help needs one of those OS's,
but that is not the same thing as the one running the RD Client software
which will run from several versions of Windows.

Sooner Al [MVP]

XP-XP
XP-W2K3
W2K3-XP
etc...etc...

It has to be an OS that is Windows XP or newer/later than Windows XP on
*EACH* end of the connection.

--

Phillip Windell said:
But from which *side*? The person asking for help,..or the person giving
the help? Obviously the one asking for the help needs one of those OS's,
but that is not the same thing as the one running the RD Client software
which will run from several versions of Windows.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Sooner Al said:
And Vista...:)

Sooner Al [MVP]

This is for Remote Assistance by the way...

For Remote Desktop the remote host/server PC must be running XP Pro, Windows
2003/Windows 2000 Server and Terminal Server or Vista. The Remote Desktop
client PC can be XP Pro/ XP Home, Windows 2K, Windows 2K3, Linux, Mac, Palm
or a PocketPC (built-in Terminal Server Client)...

--

Phillip Windell said:
But from which *side*? The person asking for help,..or the person giving
the help? Obviously the one asking for the help needs one of those OS's,
but that is not the same thing as the one running the RD Client software
which will run from several versions of Windows.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Sooner Al said: