How do I manage multiple identities in Outlook 2002

Deb from the Pacific NW

I have two identities/mailboxes (personal and business) and Outlook often
will simply default to the last one used rather than giving me the drop-down
choice of which one I want to open. Sometimes I have to reboot the computer
to get Outlook to remember I have more than one identity. I've been told
upgrading to a more current version will resolve this, but that is the only
glitch I have with the 02 version.

DL

Often caused by Outlook not closing / terminating correctly, which can be
caused by intergrated AV or sync tools, etc

"Deb from the Pacific NW" <Deb from the Pacific
news:[email protected]...

Deb from the Pacific NW

That is likely the problem, because often when I do try to reboot, I get the
message to close down all programs, even though I think I've already done so.
Outlook then pops up very quickly at the bottom tool bar, but is not open to
the point I can actually access it. I then am unable to reboot and end up
just turning off my computer, which then of course causes more problems on
reboot. I do have AVG installed, could that be the culprit?

DL

You can manually terminate OL by using Task Manager, running processes tab,
locate/select outlook.exe......end task
AVG could be, uninstall AVG, reboot, retest.
Reinstall AVG without the Outlook intergration (its an option in the
installation)

Deb from the Pacific NW

Thank you DL, I'll try your suggestions. At some point I'll likely upgrade
but may as well wait for the 2010 version I suppose.

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

I have two identities/mailboxes (personal and business) and Outlook often
will simply default to the last one used rather than giving me the drop-down
choice of which one I want to open. Sometimes I have to reboot the computer
to get Outlook to remember I have more than one identity. I've been told
upgrading to a more current version will resolve this, but that is the only
glitch I have with the 02 version.

Outlook doesn't have "identities" (like Outlook Express does). Instead, there
are structures called "Mail profiles" in the registry that allow you to have
multiple independent configurations of Outlook. When you start Outlook, it
will ask which profile you wish to use. If it's not asking, then it did not
close correctly the last time. See this for possible reasons:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm