How do I get the "Username" and "Password" prompt when connecting to other WINXP computers on my hom

G

I have several computers on my home network. Until recently I was running W2K on all of them, and was succesfully sharing all my drives. This allowed me to walk to any computer on my home network, browse "My Network Places", enter username and password, and connect to the desired computer I wanted.
I recetly upgraded 3 of the 4 computers to WINXP. Now when I browse "My Network Places" I am not prompted for a username, password, I am immidatley connected.
I am very relucltant to leave this setting in place and risk someone having access to something they shouldn't. Is there a way to force network connections to my other computers to require a Username and Password??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

S

Sooner Al

Simple file sharing is the default for Windows XP Pro in a work group environment, ie. non-domain
environment. Look at this page for help changing that...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Doug Williams said:
I have several computers on my home network. Until recently I was running W2K on all of them, and
was succesfully sharing all my drives. This allowed me to walk to any computer on my home network,
browse "My Network Places", enter username and password, and connect to the desired computer I
wanted.
I recetly upgraded 3 of the 4 computers to WINXP. Now when I browse "My Network Places" I am not
prompted for a username, password, I am immidatley connected.
I am very relucltant to leave this setting in place and risk someone having access to something
they shouldn't. Is there a way to force network connections to my other computers to require a
Username and Password??

Ask a Question