How do I Disable Windows Mail?

M

Maizing

I have a new computer that came with Vista. I use Windows Live Mail to read
my email. Every time I start it up, Windows Mail starts the new account
wizard. This is very annoying as Windows Mail cannot access my Windows Live
email. I have to cancel out of it before Windows Live Mail will start.

Is there any way to disable Windows Mail in Vista since I am not using it?
I didn't have this problem with my XP machine.

R

Robert Aldwinckle

Every time I start it up, Windows Mail starts the new account wizard.

Maizing,

This looks like the wrong question. Have you tried checking
*why* this is happening? E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter:)
msconfig.exe
inspect the Startup tab and use its checkboxes.

Alternatively to simplify your analysis you can Run...
msinfo32.exe /category SWEnvStartupPrograms
E.g. the latter is sortable and capturable.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Peter.R said:
[Cross-posted to microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop]

Hi Maizing.

You are not alone with this peculiar problem, which seems to be an obscure bug in the latest version of WLMail (2009
14.0.8064.0206) which is only very rarely experienced.

I can't explain with certainty why WMail is starting when you start WLMail, but I have a workaround for you that should help if
resetting WLMail's defaults does not help.

Firstly, if you want to investigate the reason for this problem, two programs that may be of help are 'Process Explorer'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) and 'Process Monitor'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx).

Now, in an another attempt to resolve the problem (if you haven't already tried it), I suggest that you first do a Repair Install
of Windows Live Essentials through Control Panel->Programs and Features.

Certainly you can deny a User access to WMail...

1) Close WMail and WLMail

2) Start->Default Programs->Set program access and computer defaults->[x] Custom [check and expand]->Choose a default e-mail
program: [section]->[x] Windows Live Mail [check]->[ ] Windows Mail->[ ] Enable access to this program [uncheck]->OK

This will mark WinMail.exe as Hidden and remove its shortcuts.

However, this probably will not prevent WMail from starting up when WLMail is started.

You may then need to rename 'WinMail.exe'* to 'WinMail.exe.bak'. That should see the end of WMail starting up...

Since 'WinMail.exe' has now been marked as Hidden, you will need to so ensure "Show hidden files and folders" is checked under
Folder Options in Windows Explorer.

If Windows refuses to allow you to rename 'WinMail.exe', you can use a program called 'Unlocker'
(http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) to rename it, or else adjust the permissions of 'WinMail.exe' to give yourself full control
over it.

*C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe

I can't envisage any detrimental side effects from renaming 'WinMail.exe' other than not being able to start WMail, and it no
longer appearing in the 'Default Programs' options.

Having WMail access denied as well as 'WinMail.exe' renamed should be enough to satisfy WLMail and Windows itself.

--
Cheers,
Peter.R
(Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 with IE7 & Windows Live Mail 2009 14.0.8064.0206)
"There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare

Maizing said:
I have a new computer that came with Vista. I use Windows Live Mail to read my email. Every time I start it up, Windows Mail
starts the new account wizard. This is very annoying as Windows Mail cannot access my Windows Live email. I have to cancel out
of it before Windows Live Mail will start.

Is there any way to disable Windows Mail in Vista since I am not using it?
I didn't have this problem with my XP machine.

Ask a Question