Word How do I change default bullet settings for Word XP?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Windows XP
Microsoft Office Word XP

I used to be able to use the <tab> to demote bullets (or outlined formats) and <tab-shift> to promote bullets, but about a week ago these shortkeys didn't work anymore. Now when I hit <tab> the words will tab and the bullet remains stationary. I know I can use the button in the toolbar above to move the bullet, but it is much faster for me to do it with the tab key. Does anyone know how to change the settings back?

Help me please.

Reaction score
Check whether the "Scroll Lock" is on in the key board. Are you using a multimidia key board? can you brfly explain the hardware config?

Reaction score
Thanks krgrajeev for your concern, but I actually figured out what was wrong after some searching online.

I have an Eee PC, Asus laptop, and what happened was one of the boxes "set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" in the "Autoformat as you type" section of proofing somehow got unchecked. I checked it, and everything went back to the way it was. I just don't know what I did to switch that checked box?

Ask a Question