How can we group rows? I have problem....

Reaction score
Hi, I got data in A2(client name) and B2 - H2(are datas from this clients transactions). NOw A3 is blank,
but B3-H3 are still another set of datas from the same client name(A2).. I want to filter the A column by clients.
The problem is , when I filter by clients name... for example A2....it will view only the row from A2-H2...
NOw, I want when I filter A2 .... the sheet should display "A2-H2" & "A3(blank) - H3"...

Can anybody help me? Please

Attachments

• thresds.pdf
    169.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Reaction score
A possible solution is to insert an additional column A this will automatically move your data column over so your existing column A becomes B.
Then enter a character (say x) against the rows you wish to filter, then filter on column A using x as the criteria.
Without knowing more detail of your full requirements I really can't go further, but it may be possible (with the use of formulae) to enter the x in column A automatically given a set of circumstances e.g. in its simplest form in A3 enter =IF(B2="Fred","x","")
Hope this may give you some help in resolving your problem.

Reaction score
Hi foxnight,

Have you solved your problem?

If not this may help if you have XL 2003 (menus), not XL 07 (ribbons)!

The easiest way to do this is to:

§ select A1:A1000 (Your Range, Assuming your range is that, and that you have data in odd cells at different intervals eg A1, A35, A134, etc, then

§ do F5 or (Edit / Go To) / Special / Blanks. This will make your active cell A2.

§ Now simply type = and then

§ use the mouse to click onto cell A1, and then hit CTRL+ENTER.
This will enter a formula in all your missing columns.

§ Now select all of Col A and do Ctrl C (Edit / Copy /)
and then Edit / Paste Special / Values to replace the formulas with vaules.

All your cells in Col A should now have entries - copies of the entry above. So your filter will work as you want.

If you nee XL07 help let me know on this thread and I will help.

Regards,

Peter

Ask a Question