How can I install two instance of the same application on WM?

Maciej Wolniewicz

Hi Group,

I have problem with application setup and really I do not have any
good idea how to solve this, maybe you can help me. And here is my
problem...

I have developed some application, I also have setup which also work
but problem starts when I want to install my application one more
time. Default behaviour in WM is that it want to reinstall
application, but what I really need is to have possibility to install
second instance of this application.

What is more, it would be nice to have possibility to create seperate
shourtcuts (otherwise it does not have any sense). I need even more, I
want to install my application in same main directory as previously,
but of course in seperate folder.

I will add, that I'm developing my setup in NSIS, and to instal cab
file on device I'm using CEAppMgr.

Does anybody have any idea how resolve such problem or maybe how
install same cab in different directiories without rebuiloding cab
file?

I hope you will understand my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

M. Wolniewicz

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Why? The answer to that question will probably tell us enough to give you a
reasonable answer. The only *good* reason that I can come up with for
installing the same application twice is to somehow allow multiple instances
of the same program to be running at once. As for details of "how do I do
this in setup?", you'll have to ask the setup vendor, of course.

Paul T.

Maciej Wolniewicz

Hi, thanks for response,

yes, I know that it is not common to install twice same application,
but it is situation that you described: I need to have possibility to
run two instance of the same application, there are really reason for
that. I also know that such situation will be very rare, but as far as
I know now it would happen and I want to be ready for this.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

There's no technical reason that you can't do. How exactly to achieve it
will depend on the installer, so you'll have to consult them about that, or
add some sort of an extension (if this installer supports it), and just copy
the target folder from the first install to a new location. You can make
your own shortcuts with SHCreateShortcut().

Paul T.

Hi, thanks for response,

yes, I know that it is not common to install twice same application,
but it is situation that you described: I need to have possibility to
run two instance of the same application, there are really reason for
that. I also know that such situation will be very rare, but as far as
I know now it would happen and I want to be ready for this.

So the question is probably "how do I run multiple instances of my app?" and
not "how do I install it multiple times?".

The answer is to change the class type. I belive Alex Feinman blogged about
this way back in CF 1.0 times, and again when 2.0 was released.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting

Hi, thanks for response,

yes, I know that it is not common to install twice same application,
but it is situation that you described: I need to have possibility to
run two instance of the same application, there are really reason for
that. I also know that such situation will be very rare, but as far as
I know now it would happen and I want to be ready for this.

Maciej Wolniewicz

Hi and thanks again for your responses.

I know that it is possible to copy executable files from one directory
to another, create shourtcut, e.t.c and all that i can do from my
setup system through RAPI (setup must run on desktop computer).

Maybe I have to precise my question. Is it possible to install
application to different location on device from the same cab file?

PS: Thanks for your patience and answering my questions.

I still don't think you need 2 copies and I don't understand why you would.
Would you ever install the same application twice on the desktop? No. So
what's different here? Why do you think you need it installed twice? I
*think* you simply want to be able to run 2 instances - but you've not been
clear on that so far.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting
Giving back to the embedded community
http://community.OpenNETCF.com

Hi and thanks again for your responses.

I know that it is possible to copy executable files from one directory
to another, create shourtcut, e.t.c and all that i can do from my
setup system through RAPI (setup must run on desktop computer).

Maybe I have to precise my question. Is it possible to install
application to different location on device from the same cab file?

PS: Thanks for your patience and answering my questions.

Maciej Wolniewicz

Hi, thanks again for your responce and usefull link, but I know what I
need... Maybe I will write a little more to describe my point of view.

I'm writing application that is communicating with some online server,
downloads some data and can work offline. It is also possible to send
data back to server. Problem starts when I want connect with other
server. My first thought was to just create new database on device and
that give the user possibility to swich between users.

Information from link that you provide would even solve problems with
switchng between servers(I didn't new about this, thanks!!), but real
problem is an application update.

Application connects with server and checks if there is an update, if
there is it downloads its and update application is started which
updates my main application. Problem is that on every server could be
an update, because my application has very strong relations with
existing system, it is dedicated solution to communicate with server.
So if I download update from some server and then connect to next
server there could also be an update, so my previous update will be
lost and then could start doing very unwanted things.

I think now it is clear why I want to have 2 different installations.
If there is other solution to avoid such problem I'm happy to know
about it, because currently i do not have any other idea.

But I think I found a solution. I will install my application with
CEAppMgr with only required assemblies to run application and download
update and then create some new folder, copy already installed files
to seperate folder( user can select name during installation) and copy
these required files to new location and also create shourtcut. I will
also use SetupDLL to cleen everything if somebody would like to
uninstall my application.

I know that there will be on device some unused assemblies, but they
are really small.

Regards,

M. Wolniewicz

"Maciej Wolniewicz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Hi, thanks for response,
yes, I know that it is not common to install twice same application,
but it is situation that you described: I need to have possibility to
run two instance of the same application, there are really reason for
that. I also know that such situation will be very rare, but as far as
I know now it would happen and I want to be ready for this.
On 18 Lut, 16:23, "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no
instrument no spam DOT com> wrote:
[...]

M. Wolniewicz- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
- Poka¿ cytowany tekst -- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
- Pokaz cytowany tekst -- Ukryj cytowany tekst -

- Pokaż cytowany tekst -