How bad is this SATA hard drive?

Jack

Hello,
I have 500 GB Western Digital SATA drive which is about 1 year
old.
Recently, my Windows XP froze seveal times and finally Windows refused to
start at all (no error displayed whatsoever).
I installed the 2nd drive (IDE), installed new WinXP on it and now I am
trying to figure out where the problem is on the SATA drive.
1.
I have 3 partitions on that SATA drive: C (190GB), D(98 GB)& Z (172 GB).
Running chkdsk does not show any problems on D and Z partitions.
D partition holds Vista installation and it was used very, very seldom (only
to test some programs).
Z partition is where I keep My Documents, downloaded files and all the data
so it is accessed quite often, as often as drive C or even more often then
that.
2.
Running chkdsk /f reveals the significant number of bad clusters on C drive.
Interestingly, repeating chkdsk /f each time reveals more bad clusters (not
found previously)
3.
Tried to install new Windows on that C partition (the installation used CD
drive)
Installations fails soon after " Cannot read file so and so"
but using the same CD I was able to install Windows on the spare IDE hard
drive.
It looks like the installation could not read its own files after putting
them on the hard drive.
4.
Running chkdsk /r replaces a lot of bad clusters.
Please see below the log.

My questions are:
A.
Is that SATA drive completely unreliable and should I claim warranty?
B.
Why there are so many problems on partition C but none on partition Z?
(both partitions are accessed as often)
C.
What else can I do to check, test & eventually repair that SATA drive?

Thanks,
Jack
========= chkdsk /r log =========

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\j>chkdsk g: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is HOST.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 179
of name \WINDOWS\system32\kdcom.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 5522
of name \WINDOWS\system32\config\software.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 6654
of name \WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Database\HCdata.edb.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 16212
of name \SYSTEM~1\_RESTO~1\RP424\A0048465.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 20180
of name \WINDOWS\Fonts\Elegance.TTF.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 26441
of name \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33028
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33048
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mrxsmb.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33050
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mountmgr.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33084
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdfs.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33106
of name \WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33756
of name \WINDOWS\system32\msutb.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 33794
of name \WINDOWS\system32\msimsg.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 34683
of name \WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 40165
of name \PROGRA~1\ESET\Install\mfc42.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 50753
of name \PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\chrome\pippki.jar.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 50994
of name
\DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1\Adobe\Updater5\Data\READER~1.AUM.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 51746
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\snapman.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 51752
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\timntr.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 52832
of name \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\HSF_DPV.sys.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 60495
of name \PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\COMPON~1\NSCONT~2.JS.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 61962
of name \WINXP\DRIVER~1\i386\driver.cab.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 67799
of name \WINDOWS\system32\config\system.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 100532
of name \PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Adobe\Updater5\ADOBEU~1.ES_.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 111489
of name \PROGRA~1\VSO\ConvertX\3\TEMPLA~1\thriller\INTRO2~2.AVI.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 119633
of name \DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\X452VYOO\F976C7~1.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 134233
of name \DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\WPMR27Y7\6537D1~1.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 136398
of name \SYSTEM~1\_RESTO~1\RP424\A0048391.exe.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 136401
of name \SYSTEM~1\_RESTO~1\RP424\A0048390.exe.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 138112
of name \WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\PORTRE~1\PR55EA~1.LOG.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 138821
of name \DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\APPLIC~1\mjusbsp\Upgrade\install1.exe.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 139693
of name \PROGRA~1\TIGERJ~1\TjIpSys.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 141837
of name \PRParser\prpsetup.msi.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 141880
of name \PROGRA~1\Ahead\Nero\SHORTCUT.DLL.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 142208
of name \PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Ahead\AUDIOP~1\VQFENC~1.DLL.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 147822
of name
\DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\KGTX41YL\QQETBV~1.JS.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 149957
of name \WINDOWS\REGIST~2\{A47B3~1\wmvadvd.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 150237
of name \WINDOWS\system32\wmvdmod.dll.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 159796
of name \DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\XV5QP742\96D702~1.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 160456
of name \DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\TN1Q92E5\D2DDD5~1.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 160642
of name \DOCUME~1\JACEK_~1\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\2V79V8EO\242F43~1.
99 percent completed.

Lem

Jack said:
[...]

1. Copy your data off the SATA drive
2. Download WD's Data Lifeguard Tools and run the diagnostic tests.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=6&lang=en
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...TIuMjA2JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

If the Data Lifeguard Tools test indicates a failed disk, you should be
covered by warranty. WD has pretty good warranty service, but you may
need to be a bit insistent.

BillW50

In Jack typed on Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:35:05 -0400:
[...]

Did you reformat the C drive yet, before trying to install? If so, did
you try to delete the C partition and tried to create it and reformatted
(don't use quick format)?

almostbob

Why there are so many problems on partition C but none on partition Z?
(both partitions are accessed as often)

when the drive was damaged, be it by power surge, knock, bad build, or bad
luck, the heads were in place over that part of the drive that is
partitioned as volume C:
whatever damage is constrained to the part of the drive under access when
the damage occurred.

Jack

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

That will be the problem.
I have Z partition almost full (180 GB of data) and I have no place to move
all that data.
Jack

Jack

BillW50 said:
In Jack typed on Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:35:05 -0400:
Did you reformat the C drive yet, before trying to install? If so, did
you try to delete the C partition and tried to create it and reformatted
(don't use quick format)?
No, I did not. I am still afraid to do anything on that drive before I save
all my data.
(I am afraid of loosing Z partition).

BTW, I am still waiting for chkdsk /r to complete its task.
The command window is stuck at 99 % already for almost an hour.
How long should I wait?
I' m afraid to force closing it and right now the SATA partition is not
accessible by Windows Explorer.
Jack

Jack

almostbob said:
when the drive was damaged, be it by power surge, knock, bad build, or bad
luck, the heads were in place over that part of the drive that is
partitioned as volume C:
whatever damage is constrained to the part of the drive under access when
the damage occurred.

That makes sense. Thank you.
Jack

Mike Barnard

That will be the problem.
I have Z partition almost full (180 GB of data) and I have no place to move
all that data.
Jack
Do what I did, buy a new HDD. I found a SATA 1Tb drive for peanuts at
Novatech.

WD-1TBBS CAVIAR BLACK 1TB 32MB 7200 SAT 1 £65.17 +vat.

Don't fiddle with the old drive until you have a backup system in
place.

Ken Blake, MVP

That will be the problem.
I have Z partition almost full (180 GB of data) and I have no place to move
all that data.

Then what you are saying is that you have 180GB of data that's
important to you, but you have no backup procedure in place.

It's not just your immediate problem; you're living with fire. Read
this article on backup I wrote: "Back Up Your Computer Regularly and
Reliably" at http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=314

Jack