How 2 access files from previous installation

G

Hello everyone,

I have an issue where a system was severely damaged due to virus infection. The least evasive approach was to re-install Windows XP pro in another directory (after the virus problem was addressed). This worked well; however some document files are now inaccessible even though the user has admin rights. An error keeps states that the files would only be read only and then another error indicates that the files are inaccessible...

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
to which you have been denied access:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Hello everyone,
|
| I have an issue where a system was severely damaged due to virus infection. The least evasive approach was
to re-install Windows XP pro in another directory (after the virus problem was addressed). This worked well;
however some document files are now inaccessible even though the user has admin rights. An error keeps states
that the files would only be read only and then another error indicates that the files are inaccessible...
|
| Can anyone help me out with this?
|
| Thanks

G

I tried this; however it did not work. This is probably due to the permissions on the folder (as the folder was created with the other operating system installation... I turned off simple file permissions and added security priveleges, even changed ownership. I then logged in as administrator and could not even copy the files over...

Ask a Question