Hover buttons (FP2002)

G

I've designed client sites using hover buttons with custom images for the buttons. They work great. I've also designed sites using buttons created with Java and they work great, too. The problem is when I visit any given site and then switch to one of the others that use the opposite buttons (a completely different URL), those buttons will not function at all or even load. After shutting down the browser, restarting it and going to the site again, that version of buttons works fine, but switching to the other sites with the other buttons now is non-functional. What's happening here? Is there a known issue with hover buttons, perhaps using custom images for the buttons? My understanding the hover buttons are actually Java-based in FP and I'm wondering if the browser is somehow getting "set" to work with only one type of Java coding once it's used, or something like that. The bottom line...do I have to re-work all my buttons to Java applets for all my sites, or use only hover buttons exclusively? I'm not using themes at all.

S

Steve Easton

You don't want to use hover buttons with "custom" images. With custom images you want to use DHTML
image swaps which are javascript.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Roger said:
I've designed client sites using hover buttons with custom images for the buttons. They work
great. I've also designed sites using buttons created with Java and they work great, too. The
problem is when I visit any given site and then switch to one of the others that use the opposite
buttons (a completely different URL), those buttons will not function at all or even load. After
shutting down the browser, restarting it and going to the site again, that version of buttons works
fine, but switching to the other sites with the other buttons now is non-functional. What's
happening here? Is there a known issue with hover buttons, perhaps using custom images for the
buttons? My understanding the hover buttons are actually Java-based in FP and I'm wondering if the
browser is somehow getting "set" to work with only one type of Java coding once it's used, or
something like that. The bottom line...do I have to re-work all my buttons to Java applets for all
my sites, or use only hover buttons exclusively? I'm not using themes at all.

G

But the hover buttons work fine, unless you've just been to a site using buttons controlled by javascript. I guess my question is why does one inhibit the other unless the browser is restarted prior to each visit?

S

Steve Easton

It's not a problem I've ever seen.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Roger said:
But the hover buttons work fine, unless you've just been to a site using buttons controlled by
javascript. I guess my question is why does one inhibit the other unless the browser is restarted
prior to each visit?

E

E. T. Culling

Not everyone will be able to view the Hover buttons .. it is best not to use
them at all.
ETC
Roger said:
But the hover buttons work fine, unless you've just been to a site using
buttons controlled by javascript. I guess my question is why does one
inhibit the other unless the browser is restarted prior to each visit?

Ask a Question