Hotkey for editing text files (not "opening")?

Agent Wookie

I'd like to set up a hotkey for editing a file, as opposed to
"opening" it. I'm referring to any arbitrary ASCII file, like .html or
..bat, which may have its own association for the "open" action. I've
noticed that on XP Alt-Double Click shows the file's properties, and
Ctrl-Double Click does the same thing as a double click, that is,
opens a file. Can Ctrl-Double Click be set up to "edit" a file?

I know how to set up a hot key for the editor app itself and I'm also
aware of the right-click context menu which may include an option to
send the file to an editor. This is not what I want. What I want is a
very simple action, like Ctrl-Double Click, on the file itself.

David Candy

Ctrl + Dbl Click opens a file without making the opened window the active window.

Mungo Bulge

it's called right-click E
if you are not navigating with a mouse, use the Application key
followed by E