Highlighter tool on the Reviewing Toolbar

I teach a class on using Track Changes. I strongly urge participants to use
the comment feature rather than highlighting text then inserting bracketed
comments. I tell them that when they highlight text and use the comment icon,
that text is conveniently highlighted in the same color as Word assigned for
their insertions and deletions (everyone is set to "by author"). I sometimes
get the question "Then what is the separate highlighting tool doing on the
Reviewing Toolbar." I lamely suggest that an occasion could arise in which a
reviewer wanted to highlight text but not comment on it (!). In fact, I don't
know why Gates & Co put that tool on the Reviewing Toolbar --- does anyone?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Good question! I can imagine a scenario where a reviewer might want to make
a general comment on a lot of similar issues. He could insert a comment
telling readers to "See text highlighted in [specific color]."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

Henk57

I use it to highlight language errors rather than correct it right away
This I find more constructive as the author may want to entirel
rephrase or may not agree with my correction. Also, it gets som
eductational value. Comments I use strictly for the contents of th
work. But it's a personal preference, nothing more.
Good question! I can imagine a scenario where a reviewer might want t
make
a general comment on a lot of similar issues. He could insert
comment
telling readers to "See text highlighted in [specific color]."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to th
newsgroup so
all may benefit.