High jack entry??

Ed H

This keeps reappearing when I scan with "Malwarebytes:"

"Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges
(Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken."

I remove it and it will appear aging some time later??
--

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-BIT SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz

Don Varnau

Hi,
Active Desktop is/was a feature in previous OS's. Vista does not support
Active Desktop.

Because it returns after being fixed by MBAM, It's possible that another
security/antispyware program keeps creating this restriction.

A malware program may be creating the restriction.

If Windows Defender is updated and running and the Windows Firewall is
enabled and there are no other signs of malware infection, I would have MBAM
ignore this change.

More:
http://forums.techarena.in/anonymity-privacy-spam/1075636.htm
and
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site:microsoft.com+vista+active+desktop&form=QBRE&qs=n

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Ed H

I do run Widows Defender and Spybot S&D at times. My system seems clean as a
whistle. Thanks.
--

Ed H said:
This keeps reappearing when I scan with "Malwarebytes:"

"Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explor
er\NoActiveDesktopChanges
(Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken."

I remove it and it will appear aging some time later??
--

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-BIT SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
4.00 GB RAM
300 GB HDD

PA Bear, MS MVP

Why are you scanning with MBAM?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
logs in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
or other appropriate forums.**

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local,
reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad)
computer repair shop.
==
~PA Bear

Ed H

Because it was recommended here as a good malware scanner. Just trying to
stay current.
--

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-BIT SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
4.00 GB RAM
300 GB HDD

Why are you scanning with MBAM?

David H. Lipman

From: "DanS" <[email protected]>

| Maybe you could explain to those of us that can't read minds as to why
| you questioned the use of MBAM ?

I think people are taking his response out of context.

Ed H

I'm sorry PA Bear, I don't know what your saying.
--

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-BIT SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz
4.00 GB RAM
300 GB HDD

Kayman

From: "DanS" <[email protected]>

| Maybe you could explain to those of us that can't read minds as to why
| you questioned the use of MBAM ?

I think people are taking his response out of context.

Oh, now we know...

Newsgroup:
microsoft.public.security.homeusers

Name:
PA Bear [MS MVP] 21-Jan-09 2:20:36 AM and 03-Feb-09 6:01:24 AM respectively
....furthermore, the authors of MBAM did not intend users to keep the free
version installed.
[unquote]
and
There are free versions of MBAM & SAS. You didn't do anything wrong in
using them. I simply don't recommend leaving them installed.
[unquote]

David H. Lipman

From: "Kayman" <[email protected]>

| Oh, now we know...

| Newsgroup:
| microsoft.public.security.homeusers

| Name:
| PA Bear [MS MVP] 21-Jan-09 2:20:36 AM and 03-Feb-09 6:01:24 AM respectively
|
| ...furthermore, the authors of MBAM did not intend users to keep the free
| version installed.
| [unquote]
| and
|
| There are free versions of MBAM & SAS. You didn't do anything wrong in
| using them. I simply don't recommend leaving them installed.
| [unquote]

Knowing the team members, I don't think the following is true...
"MBAM did not intend users to keep the free version installed. "

Tom [Pepper] Willett

If you visit the MBAM forums, the MBAM owners/developers dispute PA Bear by
name and have expressed their displeasure with his comments...they encourage
people to keep the free program installed.

: On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 20:29:58 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:
:
: > From: "DanS" <[email protected]>
: >
: >| : >
: >>> See the rest of my previous post.
: >
[...]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

David said:
I think people are taking his response out of context.

Thank you. Contrary to others here, I have no "agenda" (i.e., keeping MBAM
free installed) in this thread other than assisting the OP.

DanS

MYOB, please.

If you don't like it, then don't post in globally and publicly accessible
newsgroups. Take all of your Usenet discussions to e-mail then.

I was asking you to clarify a statement you made.....rather a question
you posed.....

"Why are you scanning with MBAM?"

And the answer was pretty obvious......the OP thought he may have had
some type of malware/spyware....and it was stated exactly as to why there
was that suspicion prior to you asking *the* question.

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Moriarty" <[email protected]>

| On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:02:24 -0600, "Tom [Pepper] Willett"

| So... the conclusion is that he's lying. Right?

No he's not lying. He's mistaken.

David H. Lipman

| Thank you. Contrary to others here, I have no "agenda" (i.e., keeping MBAM
| free installed) in this thread other than assisting the OP.

YW -- I know.