Hibernate problem.

Andy I.

Hi,

At night I put the PC into Hibernation using START | TURN OFF COMPUTER |
STAND BY and hold down the shift key for HIBERNATE.
When I reopen the PC in the morning, and open "My Documents", "My Music",
or OE Inbox, etc., wherever I click on a header (or file) in the list, all
those above that level are hi-lighted, a whole block. If I then depress
the Shift key, the problem vanishes.

I have repeated the above using a different keyboard and the result is the
same. It seems that the keyboard Shift key is not the cause.
Is there some way to fix this problem (other than staying away from
Hibernate!). The problem began only a few days ago.

Thanks.
Andy I.

Ayush

I am just guessing and my guess is when you put your computer on hibernate
by pressing Shift key, it stores that and when you resume it resume that
shift key too. To figure this out :
Run task manager Ctrl > Alt > Delete
In the Shut Down menu click Hibernate
See what happens...

You tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file by turning off Hibernate or
manually ?

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

: Hi,
:
[...]

Thanks "Ayush".

That looks like a pretty inspired "guess"!
I tried Hibernating via Task manager as you suggested. It worked OK, but
the problem is an intermittent one when using START | HIBERNATE so I'll have
to try this a few more times.
You said: "You tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file by turning off Hibernate
or manually ? I don't quite understand this.

Andy I.

"Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
:I am just guessing and my guess is when you put your computer on hibernate
: by pressing Shift key, it stores that and when you resume it resume that
: shift key too. To figure this out :
: Run task manager Ctrl > Alt > Delete
: In the Shut Down menu click Hibernate
: See what happens...
:
: You tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file by turning off Hibernate or
: manually ?
:
: --
: > Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
:
: For any query, search > www.Google.com
: Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org
:
:
: :: Hi,
::
[...]

OK. So my guess was right...
The file that windows uses for storing the contents of ram is hiberfil.sys
and it is in your [Most likely]C:\ drive . To delete that, simply turn off
hibernation in Power Options. Once turned off check your c:\ drive for a
file named hiberfil.sys. To check that:
1.Open cmd by Start > Run > cmd
2.Type> cd..\..
3.Type> dir /a:s
4. Make sure that hiberfil.sys does not exist. If it exist delete it by
typing> del hiberfil.sys
Trust me, it will not cause any problem

Now enable the hibernation as you turned it off...

If the above method fails, you can do:
1. Make a shortcut for hibernation on quick launch or desktop.
2. Try pressing H at the Turn Off screen, dont press Shift. Just press H

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

: Thanks "Ayush".
:
[...]
:: --
:: > Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
::
:: For any query, search > www.Google.com
:: Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org
::
::
:: ::: Hi,
:::
[...]

Marvelous! hiberfil.sys deleted, and reinstated. I've never seen that
method before.
Just curious, but why can't we see hiberfil.sys in START |SEARCH?

Thanks "Ayush"
[...]

Is your problem solved ?
You cannot see that file because by default [and is recommended], system
files are hidden. If you want to see that just turn this on :
Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab > Uncheck "Hide protected system
files (Recommended)"

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

Replied To :

[...]

Thanks "Ayusha".

Yes the problem seems to be solved, but as I said earlier it's an
intermittent one, so I'll have to try a few more times; and thanks for
enlightening me re System files......

: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
[...]
::: --
::: > Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
:::
::: For any query, search > www.Google.com
::: Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org
:::
:::
::: :::: Thanks "Ayush".
::::
:::: That looks like a pretty inspired "guess"!
:::: I tried Hibernating via Task manager as you suggested. It worked OK,
: but
:::: the problem is an intermittent one when using START | HIBERNATE so I'll
::: have
:::: to try this a few more times.
:::: You said: "You tried deleting the hiberfil.sys file by turning off
::: Hibernate
:::: or manually ? I don't quite understand this.
::::
:::: Andy I.
::
::
:
:

Do you have more than 1GB RAM? i seem to recall a patch being necessary for
machines with large amounts of memory, using hibernate.

Andy I.

That's interesting, Ian. I have 1 GB!

Andy I.

: Do you have more than 1GB RAM? i seem to recall a patch being necessary
for
: machines with large amounts of memory, using hibernate.

Larry Mauriello

Ayush,
I find this thread interesting. I have a question for you. My PC (an HP
w/AMD64 CPU) will go into standy fine from normal poer save routine. By that
I mean screensaver kicks in after 20mins. HD *turns off* after about 3/4hr.
Stanby after 1hr.
But the only way it goes into Hibernation is by using the hotkey on the
keybd.
Also if i set a time to it in Power settings the pc will usually come out of
Standby at that time.
Would your idea of del. the hiberfil.sys file take care of this as well? My
file size is listed as 2,145,964,032 (10/22/2006)
Is this file recreated by windows or should it be renamed 1st?
I have left thngs this way as I have been told that hibernation doesn't
always work on desktop pcs. I also have been told a driver someplace may be
causing this odd behavior.
Any other ideas? TIA

Ayush said:
[...]

Replied To : [Reply below]

: Ayush,
: I find this thread interesting. I have a question for you. My PC (an HP
: w/AMD64 CPU) will go into standy fine from normal poer save routine. By that
: I mean screensaver kicks in after 20mins. HD *turns off* after about 3/4hr.
: Stanby after 1hr.
: But the only way it goes into Hibernation is by using the hotkey on the
: keybd.
: Also if i set a time to it in Power settings the pc will usually come out of
: Standby at that time.
: Would your idea of del. the hiberfil.sys file take care of this as well? My
: file size is listed as 2,145,964,032 (10/22/2006)

Is this file size in bytes or kilobytes.

I dont think so, there are many problems related to Standy and Hibernate. SOme are
solved by this but some not. You can try.

: Is this file recreated by windows or should it be renamed 1st?

The recreation is the solution. Just turn off hibernation > Check that file doesn't
exist > Turn the hibernation on agin.

: I have left thngs this way as I have been told that hibernation doesn't
: always work on desktop pcs.

I am using Desktop PC and i normally use Hibernate.

I also have been told a driver someplace may be
: causing this odd behavior.

Yes, manytimes updating your drivers specially and mainly the video driver solves
this issue. Go to your driver's manufacturer site and download an updated version
from there not from Windows Update.

Larry Mauriello

I already tried turning off/on hibernate. Also according to HP my drivers
are up to date.
I update my pc via MS weekly.
Oh well, I'll leave it be I guess. Thanks anyway.

Ayush said:
[...]

I want to add a deeper level to the thread. What do youdo if youpress power
options in controlpanel and nothing happens - I mean nothing,except the
widows "jumps" then that's it. How can I access the menus you've spoken of?
Graham J

Ayush said:
[...]

Can you open it by typing
powercfg.cpl
in Start > Run.

--

: "Larry Mauriello" wrote:
:
: > I already tried turning off/on hibernate. Also according to HP my drivers
: > are up to date.
: > I update my pc via MS weekly.
: > Oh well, I'll leave it be I guess. Thanks anyway.
: >
: > "Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
: > : > >
: > >
: > >
: > > Replied To : [Reply below]
: >
: > >
[...]
: > > --
: > >> Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
: > >
: > >
: >
: >
: >

No,thanks for asking but it doesn't affect it
Graham

Ayush said:
Can you open it by typing
powercfg.cpl
in Start > Run.

--

: "Larry Mauriello" wrote:
:
[...]

I have discovered the answer. Type "msconfig" into Start>Run and enable
normal start on General tab. It had been set to selective start by a PC bod
who tried & failed to solve another problem that I am just having tolive with.
Graham

Graham said:
No,thanks for asking but it doesn't affect it
Graham

Ayush said:
Can you open it by typing
powercfg.cpl