Hi-res b/w laser printer recommendations?

Reaction score
Hi there

I currently produce a community newspaper - we use a Kyocera 1010 FS laser printer to produce the artwork which the printer then turns this into plates for mono printing. The res of the Kyocera is 600dpi and using Quark XPress, I can adjust the dot size of the grayscale pics we use. The optimum is around 65dpi - like coarse newspaper prints from days gone by (occasionally 70dpi) - any higher and blacks and greys just turn sludgy and blobby.

I'm wondering whether a higher res laser printer - true 1200dpi, say - would enable us to produce better quality artwork, with pics of, say 75 or 80dpi, and whether these'd print OK when made into a printing plate? Or is the restriction likely to be with the artwork-to-plate step of the process?

Anyone have any ideas about this - or, indeed, suggestions about a 1200dpi laser printer. I'm willing to spend up to about £300 ($500 or so). It needs to work with Win XP, and page cost isn't too critical since we only print a couple of hundred pages per month.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
x

Ask a Question