Help XP Pro file share permissions in workgroup

J

John DeFiore

I found the following question on the web (without answer) which describes my problem and situation exactly:

I have two XP (pro) computers on a big LAN. I want these computers to share certain folders with each other, but I don't want these shares accessible from any other computers in the workgroup, so allowing Everyone permissions is unacceptable.

I have created identical accounts on both computers with identical passwords, permission on the shared folder is Full for the common account, Simple File Sharing is off, NTFS security is full for Everyone (local security is not a concern), forceguest = 0, the computers are in the same workgroup.

All this and it still denies access to the shared folder from the other computer when logged on as the common account.

What am I missing?

I have also looked for the the local security policy "Network Access: Force Network Logons using Local Accounts to Authenticate as Guest". This policy does not exist in the list of Network Access policies. I see the other policies and options, but that one is missing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

John DeFiore
EMAIL: (e-mail address removed) (Do you y..oo? for inserthere) (I'm tired of all the fake service packs)

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"John DeFiore" said:
I found the following question on the web (without answer) which describes my problem and situation exactly:

I have two XP (pro) computers on a big LAN. I want these computers to share certain folders with each other, but I don't want these shares accessible from any other computers in the workgroup, so allowing Everyone permissions is unacceptable.

I have created identical accounts on both computers with identical passwords, permission on the shared folder is Full for the common account, Simple File Sharing is off, NTFS security is full for Everyone (local security is not a concern), forceguest = 0, the computers are in the same workgroup.

All this and it still denies access to the shared folder from the other computer when logged on as the common account.

What am I missing?

I have also looked for the the local security policy "Network Access: Force Network Logons using Local Accounts to Authenticate as Guest". This policy does not exist in the list of Network Access policies. I see the other policies and options, but that one is missing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

John DeFiore
EMAIL: (e-mail address removed) (Do you y..oo? for inserthere) (I'm tired of all the fake service packs)

This web page might have the answer:

Windows XP Professional File Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Ask a Question