Word Help word overwritten

Reaction score
Anyone know an easy way to recover a word doc which I have just overwritten - 2 days work - DOH!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
not much chance ...

I don't really have much hope to offer.

If you were using the document as a template and saved it instead of using Save As, then there would have been some recourse:

1. If you realized what you had done before closing the file, you could Undo back to the beginning, resave, then Save As and Redo back to where you were.

2. If you had already saved and closed the document and had "Automatically create backup" enabled, then you could look for the "Backup of <filename>.wbk" file, which would be the previously saved version.

But if you created a new file and unintentionally saved it with the name of an existing file, then there's not much you can do.

The .asd (AutoRecovery backup) file is used only by Word when it crashes ... it is presented to you automatically the next time you start Word. But you cannot open it yourself and find usable data. Word does create some temporary files while you're working that are copies of the document, but these are deleted when the file is closed.

Sorry ... :(

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to help anyway. I have been racking my brains and ended up buying doc regenerator which has managed to pluck enough fragments from the disk to create about 75% of the lost file. Money well spent I feel and who knows when I may have another homer moment again.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I always use "save as" and always put the date in ... saved me from disasters in the past. :thumb:

It is fortunate that the 'file system' will use a cleanish part of the HD to save to ... just closing & restarting your PC can wreck attempts at recovery.

Pleased you got some of it back.

user.gif

Ask a Question