Help with WEB reference Windows Server 2003

• Thread starter Jeffrey Tate via DotNetMonster.com
  • Start date
J

Jeffrey Tate via DotNetMonster.com

The error is:
The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for Web discovery.

MSDN states that this is caused by:
This error appears in the Add Web Reference dialog box if you are developing on a machine that is behind a firewall and a proxy server has not been explicitly specified for Internet Explorer connections. You need to explicitly specify the address and port of the proxy server on your network in order to make services outside the firewall available to the Web Browser in the Add Web Reference dialog box. The Auto-detect proxy option for Internet Explorer connections is ignored by .NET Framework. You may need to ask your network administrator for this proxy information.

But the client/development computer is on the same side of the firewall as the new server.

I am new to creating and using web services. My first web service reads and writes data from and to a database on a server. The first server is using Windows 2000 as the operating system and my VB .Net project can find the web service and consumes it when the project is run. I have purchased a new server what is running Windows 2003 as the operating system. I have created the same directories on the new server and tried to give the folders and files the same properties that they had in Windows 2000, but I cannot get the Windows 2003 server to recognize my web service in the VB .Net project. It seems that under Windows 2003 the operating system will not allow my .dll to run. Any suggestion would be welcome. Please tell me how you have gotten your web service to run from within a Windows 2003 operating system.

G

Here are a few things to check in IIS6

1. Did you create a application on the virtual directory for your webservice?
2. What are you allowing as far as web server extensions in IIS6.0? In IIS
Manager, check the Web Server Extensions Node.

A quick test would be to try to open the url of the web service in IE on the
server. See if you can run one of the methods.

Le MasterChief

Ask a Question