Help with using an activex control

CrazyPhilll

Hello,
I am trying to use the Microsoft communications control 6.0
(MSCOMM32.ocx).
To use it under VBA in Excel i have to create the ActiveX module
somehow.
I neeed to create the object in my worksheet first so that i can double
click it and write the code in VBA.
It seems that this should be as easy as dragging and dropping a
commandbutton. However when I select the "Microsoft communications
control 6.0" under the "more Control Elements" button i get an error
message saying "object could not be created". I get this same message
for some but not all of the other activex controlls too. (desperately
tryign to create all kinds of elements hoping to find a solution)

I know there is an easy 30 sec way to do this but i am stuck in my
ways. Please help!
Goodnight (2.30am)

Peter T

Good morning,

Somewhat to my surprise I found I could add that control to a worksheet.
Clicked the more controls on the control Toolbox menu, found it and it went
straight on. But not onto the toolbar and only after a couple of attempts.

Doubled clicked the already selected phone icon object and it popped this
into the sheet module

Private Sub MSComm1_OnComm()
End Sub

Other events are GotFocus & LostFocus.

I wouldn't know what to do with it though, but in another sub in the
worksheet module I did this

Dim m As MSComm
Set m = MSComm1
Stop ' alt-v s

seems to be plenty there in the Locals window.

When I exit/enter design mode the object becomes invisible/visible.

Regards,
Peter T

CrazyPhilll

Peter T : that is exactly the part that doesnt work .... I clicked the
more controls on the control toolbar and selected it. Then when
clicking onto the worksheet the error message pops: "Cannot insert
object"
what to do?

Peter T

Don't know!
Just tried again no problem. Having selected it in the list need to "draw"
it onto the sheet - did you try that.

Long shot, try adding the ref in Tools References first
Microsoft Comm Control 6.0

I didn't need to do that, it got added automatically.

If stuck I can send to a workbook with the control embedded on a sheet, but
don't ask me what to do with it !

Regards,
Peter T

CrazyPhilll

Peter T:
yeah, the cursor changes to a little crosshair and i can draw a box
..... once i release the left or right mousbutton (wichever i draw the
box with) the error message mentioned above pops up.
Microsoft Comm Control 6.0 is already added under references in VBA.

Peter T

As you can set the reference can you add it with code

Sub test()
'this in a sheet module hence "Me"
Dim oleObj As OLEObject
Dim m As MSComm

Me.OLEObjects.Add ("MSCOMMLib.MSComm.1")
Set oleObj = Me.OLEObjects(1)
Set m = oleObj.Object

Debug.Print oleObj.Name ' MSComm1
Debug.Print m.ProgId ' MSCOMMLib.MSComm.1
End Sub

Regards,
Peter T

CrazyPhilll

thanks for the effort ........ runtime error 1004. Can not insert
Object ........
Ok, i am about to give up. To bad i can not. Could you send me a sheet
with one inserted? that would make my day !

Peter T

I sent you a workbook with an MSComm embedded in Sheet1

According to this article
http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=6191

can only use the MSComm on a form (as Tom originally suggested).

It looks OK though for me on a sheet, but I've done nothing with it.

The thought occurred to me that some ActiveX controls are marked unsafe in
later Windows OS (eg Rich Text Box) and that perhaps that's why you can't
get it. But in a quick search I didn't find any reference to that effect,
but maybe double check.

Regards,
Peter T

Ivan F Moala

That ActiveX control needs to be properly Licenced, so if you have
Classic VB6 then it would be licenced and you would have a registration
entry under;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses\4250E830-6AC2-11cf-8ADB-00AA00C00905

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Licenses\4250E830-6AC2-11cf-8ADB-00AA00C00905

You will find similar contols in VBA that are in VB6 that require this.

Peter T

Hi Ivan,

Indeed I have vb6 and that License. Not sure about the OP (Phil), but he had
earlier said he was able to set a reference to the control, just couldn't
add the actual control.

I sent Phil a wb with the control embedded on a sheet but otherwise empty.
He returned it to me with a small working demo.

Regards,
Peter T

"Ivan F Moala" <[email protected]>
wrote in message