Help with recovering logical partition

dave xnet

Hello,
I accidentally deleted a logical partition containing
Windows Vista (not encrypted). This was accidentally
deleted in Windows XP Disk Manager

It looked something like this before I deleted Vista
15 GB primary (Windows xp)
-- *extended*
85 GB logical (data files)
120 GB logical ( Windows Vista)
30 GB Unallocated

Now it looks like this:

15 GB primary (Windows xp)
-- *extended*
85 GB logical (data files)
150 GB Unallocated

XP and access to the data partition is still OK.

Can anybody suggest any procedure or tools that might recreate the
Vista partition (I assume the data is still there).

Dave

Folkert Rienstra

dave xnet wrote in news:p[email protected]
Hello,
I accidentally deleted a logical partition containing
Windows Vista (not encrypted). This was accidentally
deleted in Windows XP Disk Manager

It looked something like this before I deleted Vista
15 GB primary (Windows xp)
-- *extended*
85 GB logical (data files)
120 GB logical ( Windows Vista)
30 GB Unallocated

Now it looks like this:

15 GB primary (Windows xp)
-- *extended*
85 GB logical (data files)
150 GB Unallocated

XP and access to the data partition is still OK.

Can anybody suggest any procedure or tools that might recreate the
Vista partition (I assume the data is still there).

Try ResQit
http://invircible.com/download/resq.exe

dave xnet

Hello - I haven't tried out your tool yet.
I couldn't get t to work in XP.

I have used bootNG to "undelete" the partition.
I used a free tool, HxD to view the the last and first disk
sectors of this partition. The last was correct. I looked
at the first sector and it was zero's. I copy and pasted the
sector at the end to the beginning.

However, disk management in Windows XP says the type
is RAW. Is it just the partition table that's bad at this point?
Any thoughts on what to do next?

dave xnet

Hello - I haven't tried out your tool yet.
I couldn't get t to work in XP.

I have used bootNG to "undelete" the partition.
I used a free tool, HxD to view the the last and first disk
sectors of this partition. The last was correct. I looked
at the first sector and it was zero's. I copy and pasted the
sector at the end to the beginning.

However, disk management in Windows XP says the type
is RAW. Is it just the partition table that's bad at this point?
Any thoughts on what to do next?
I recovered the partition using Acronis Disk Director.
The starnge this is, it ran for about an hour in "quick" mode
and didn't find anything, so I set it to he slow, thorough mode
and it found it in about 10 seconds.

PArtition table fixed, booted up Vista without any problems.
Took a cursory look at what I could in windows explorer,
my data ifles were in tact, I assumed windows itelf was too,
since it booted without error - I scheduled a chkdsk for the next boot
which ran and found hundreds of index and security descriptor
problems.

It's a week-old install, first time I've ever seen Vista. It's quite
different from XP. If it wasn't for my private data in there,
I would have just scrapped it. Not sure what to make of the chkdsk
errors, at least I can now reinstall it without losing my data.
Cheers,
Dave