help...trying to move a web site from one pc to another

G

I am using Front Page 98. I have done a web site for a sports site for a couple of years now. I bought a new computer recently and want to move the site from my old pc to my new computer so I can reformat the older one and donate it.

I cannot seem to import/export this web site. When I follow any directions found in a book or online, what I get is all the files but the links are missing (when I view the web site in Navigation mode, I only see the main page, none of the child pages are listed nor any of the links --I have about 85 pages on this site) Also, the site is set up with a left.htm page that is always there so that links are handy to the viewer and there is a bottom.htm page which always shows through out the entire web site...but when I try to import/export to a new pc, I lose the left and bottom htm pages.

I have tried exporting from the older computer and importing to the new one, I have tried copying all the files to a cd and copying that to the new computer and I have downloaded the web site from my web site itself....always the same problem. What am I missing? I would think you could move a site from computer to computer as hardware is updated.

HELP?

S

Steve Easton

Open FrontPage on the new computer. Open the live site in FrontPage.
Click File > Publish Web.. and publish from the server back down to your computer.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

paulaj31 said:
I am using Front Page 98. I have done a web site for a sports site for a couple of years now. I
bought a new computer recently and want to move the site from my old pc to my new computer so I can
reformat the older one and donate it.
I cannot seem to import/export this web site. When I follow any directions found in a book or
online, what I get is all the files but the links are missing (when I view the web site in
Navigation mode, I only see the main page, none of the child pages are listed nor any of the
links --I have about 85 pages on this site) Also, the site is set up with a left.htm page that is
always there so that links are handy to the viewer and there is a bottom.htm page which always shows
through out the entire web site...but when I try to import/export to a new pc, I lose the left and
bottom htm pages.
I have tried exporting from the older computer and importing to the new one, I have tried copying
all the files to a cd and copying that to the new computer and I have downloaded the web site from
my web site itself....always the same problem. What am I missing? I would think you could move a
site from computer to computer as hardware is updated.

G

Thank you for the very quick response. This is what I tried last night (I think...I basically downloaded the site from the web into Front Page) but when I open the site, I still only have the index.htm page listed in navigation mode and none of the shared borders seem to be there. Can I copy the _borders folder from my other computer to this one, would that help any?

Paula

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Is the live site hosted on a server that has the FP extensions?
Can you open the site on the live/remote server directly in FP via File Menu | Open Web / Site?

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

paulaj31 said:
Thank you for the very quick response. This is what I tried last night (I think...I basically
downloaded the site from the web into Front Page) but when I open the site, I still only have the
index.htm page listed in navigation mode and none of the shared borders seem to be there. Can I
copy the _borders folder from my other computer to this one, would that help any?

G

Don't import it. From your live site File/Publish then select a directory on your PC.

G

WP,

I guess I don't understand what from my live site, File/Publish. Can you step me through that? Please? I have been trying to find someone who can help with this for over a year....and it is frustrating!

Paula

T

Tom Pepper Willett

Open FrontPage.
Go to File | Open Web
Enter the URL to your remote web site, such as: http://www.mysite.com
OK to open.

Then, once it's open, File | Publish to the location on your local machine.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
---
About FrontPage 2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
FrontPage 2003 Product Information:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/frontpage/prodinfo/default.mspx
Understanding FrontPage:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/
===
| WP,
|
| I guess I don't understand what from my live site, File/Publish. Can you
step me through that? Please? I have been trying to find someone who can
help with this for over a year....and it is frustrating!
|
| Paula
|
| "wp" wrote:
|
| > Don't import it. From your live site File/Publish then select a
directory on your PC.
| >
| > "paulaj31" wrote:
| >
| > > Thank you for the very quick response. This is what I tried last night
(I think...I basically downloaded the site from the web into Front Page) but
when I open the site, I still only have the index.htm page listed in
navigation mode and none of the shared borders seem to be there. Can I copy
the _borders folder from my other computer to this one, would that help any?
| > >
| > > Paula
| > >
| > > "Steve Easton" wrote:
| > >
| > > > Open FrontPage on the new computer. Open the live site in
FrontPage.
| > > > Click File > Publish Web.. and publish from the server back down to
your computer.
| > > >
| > > > --
| > > > Steve Easton
| > > > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| > > > 95isalive
| > > > This site is best viewed............
| > > > ........................with a computer
| > > >
| > > > | > > > > I am using Front Page 98. I have done a web site for a sports site
for a couple of years now. I
| > > > bought a new computer recently and want to move the site from my old
pc to my new computer so I can
| > > > reformat the older one and donate it.
| > > > >
| > > > > I cannot seem to import/export this web site. When I follow any
directions found in a book or
| > > > online, what I get is all the files but the links are missing (when
I view the web site in
| > > > Navigation mode, I only see the main page, none of the child pages
are listed nor any of the
| > > > links --I have about 85 pages on this site) Also, the site is set
up with a left.htm page that is
| > > > always there so that links are handy to the viewer and there is a
bottom.htm page which always shows
| > > > through out the entire web site...but when I try to import/export to
a new pc, I lose the left and
| > > > bottom htm pages.
| > > > >
| > > > > I have tried exporting from the older computer and importing to
the new one, I have tried copying
| > > > all the files to a cd and copying that to the new computer and I
have downloaded the web site from
| > > > my web site itself....always the same problem. What am I missing?
I would think you could move a
| > > > site from computer to computer as hardware is updated.
| > > > >
| > > > > HELP?
| > > >
| > > >
| > > >

G

Yes, I believe it has FP extensions. When I go to File/Open Front Page web the "Getting Started" window opens. I can chose Existing Web (on my local machine) or Create a web...regardless to what I select, when I try to go to the live/remote server, the OK button is not enabled.

Paula

T

Thomas A. Rowe

To open a web on a remote server with FP98 use File Menu | Open Web then click More Webs and enter
the URL in the box to the left of List Webs as:
www.yourdomainname.com DO NOT include the http://

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

paulaj31 said:
Yes, I believe it has FP extensions. When I go to File/Open Front Page web the "Getting Started"
window opens. I can chose Existing Web (on my local machine) or Create a web...regardless to what I
select, when I try to go to the live/remote server, the OK button is not enabled.

G

Providing your host has the FP server extensions installed, open FrontPage, go to File/Open site (or Open Web), in the address dialog box, type in your full URL.
e.g. http://www.mysite.com. FP will ask for name and pass. You are now live on your site. File/Publish down to your PC by giving the folder location using the browse, or type it in.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Make sure you are opening the web via FP Explorer.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

G

I am using FP Explorer. I tried what I think you are saying here...but when I type the url, the OK button is not enabled nor does it become enabled. The only choices I have are those locally.

Now...I have been messing with this for a while this afternoon and between Importing from the Web and copying from the other pc, I seem to be able to update to my web site and now have the shared border pages (so progress is being made). I can manage this web site this way, if that is what I have to do....but I would really like the Navigation page to show the relationships between my index.htm page and all the other pages.

Thanks so much for your time and help today. I wish I knew what small step I must be missing.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, after you type in the domain as I indicated, click the List Web button, then the OK button
should be activate, click it and you should then be prompted for your login info,

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

paulaj31 said:
I am using FP Explorer. I tried what I think you are saying here...but when I type the url, the OK
button is not enabled nor does it become enabled. The only choices I have are those locally.
Now...I have been messing with this for a while this afternoon and between Importing from the Web
and copying from the other pc, I seem to be able to update to my web site and now have the shared
border pages (so progress is being made). I can manage this web site this way, if that is what I
have to do....but I would really like the Navigation page to show the relationships between my
index.htm page and all the other pages.

S

Steve Easton

Thomas,
Is it possible the site is on an Apache/UNIX server and that they just got around to upgrading
extensions which makes 98 unusable on an Apache/UNIX??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Yes, but let see if she can get in with my latest instructions, if not then that may be likely.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

G

Yes.....that worked! I was able to be where I was on the live site and then tried to publish to my local pc when I encountered a new error. There is a .realms file and it gives me an error when I try to publish from the live site to my local machine.......but I thank you sincerely for getting me to this point.

G

I have my site hosted at Value Web. I have had this web site on there for about 4 years or so. I cannot seem to get past the error of the .realms file when I try to publish from my live site to my local computer.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned earlier, I am finally able to see the shared borders and can publish and make updates from my local machine to the web site. The only thing missing is the view from Front Page when I click on the Navigation button. I only see my index.htm page. But, I can go to the Folders view and still get to those pages, I will just have to use absolute paths instead of relative paths when linking within my own site.

While the problem has not been completed resolved, I am really thrilled with where this is right now because of the time and help of you guys. Thank you! I will keep plugging away and see if I can get past the .realms error. I don't know what the realms folder is. It is not something I ftp'd to my site so it must be something they (Value Web) has included?????

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Your host is going to have to move the .realm file out of your web root or place it in a subweb.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

paulaj31 said:
I have my site hosted at Value Web. I have had this web site on there for about 4 years or so. I
cannot seem to get past the error of the .realms file when I try to publish from my live site to my
local computer.
Meanwhile, as I mentioned earlier, I am finally able to see the shared borders and can publish and
make updates from my local machine to the web site. The only thing missing is the view from Front
Page when I click on the Navigation button. I only see my index.htm page. But, I can go to the
Folders view and still get to those pages, I will just have to use absolute paths instead of
relative paths when linking within my own site.
While the problem has not been completed resolved, I am really thrilled with where this is right
now because of the time and help of you guys. Thank you! I will keep plugging away and see if I can
get past the .realms error. I don't know what the realms folder is. It is not something I ftp'd to
my site so it must be something they (Value Web) has included?????

G

I had my host remove that file and was able to publish to my local computer. Next, I opened that web to work on it but the Navigation page still doesn't show any of the pages linked. Only the Index.htm page is listed in the Navigation view. All the other pages have been published to my local machine but there doesn't seem to be any link between parent-child pages.

Any other suggestions???

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You will need to re-build your navigation structure at this point.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

paulaj31 said:
I had my host remove that file and was able to publish to my local computer. Next, I opened that
web to work on it but the Navigation page still doesn't show any of the pages linked. Only the
Index.htm page is listed in the Navigation view. All the other pages have been published to my local
machine but there doesn't seem to be any link between parent-child pages.

Ask a Question