HELP, "Rod Speed" New HArdrive showing S.M.A.R.T. problems?

SyKoTaBoY

Curiosity leaves me wondering if ANYone, ESPECIALLY "Rod Speed" could give me some thoughts on the following:

I have an older Fateway, excuse me, Gateway Desktop system here of a Friend's that I was installing a brand new IDE Western Digital WD400 (40GIg) HD on..

She apparently purchased this drive new at one of those "Computer Shows" at some local area Morocco Temple that came thru town a few weekends ago....

After FDISK and "FORMAT C: /s," BOTH of which it went right thru with NO
problems, I reboot the machine and I keep getting the following upon BOOT UP:

4th Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

I've gone into CMOS/BIOs and there is no setting to quote "DISABLE" the S.M.A.R.T.

I find it odd that a BRAND NEW drive would have this problem. However, I'd like to ATLEAST see her start up WITHOUT this message and just go on with startup, as once you hit F1, she loads right up with NO problems.

But having to press F1 EVERYTIME she reboots or starts up is really lame.

Do you have ANY thoughts?

Joey
sykotaboy -|A*.T*.|- comcast-DOT-net

P.s.: Here's some Minor Reference Info, just incase it's of ANY completely unlikely value:

WD400 plugged into PRIMARY IDE PORT on motherboard, at master on cable with NO slave on same cable

CD-R drive plugged into SECONDARY IDE PORT on motherboard, with NO other attachments to same cable
Gateway

MODEL: ATXSTF CXN Select 1000
CPU: AMD-Athlon 1000MHZ

HERE's A SCREEN CAPTURE of POST BIOS BOOT MSG:

AMIBIOS (C) 1999 American Megatrends Inc., Version 07.99.xx
BIOS Date: 08/21/00 01:07:30

AMD Athlon(tm), 1000MHZ
Checking NVRAM..Update OK!

256MB OK
WAIT...

Pri Master: 05.03E05 WDC WD400BB-75DEA0
Ultra DMA Mode-4, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD
Sec Master: 1.5 R/RW 8x4x32

4th Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

Rod Speed

I have an older Fateway, excuse me, Gateway Desktop system here

Just dont call it a Fartway or it will curl up and die.
of a Friend's that I was installing a brand new
IDE Western Digital WD400 (40GIg) HD on..
She apparently purchased this drive new at one of those
"Computer Shows" at some local area Morocco Temple
that came thru town a few weekends ago....

Uh, oh, get it checked out to ensure it hasnt got a bomb inside...
After FDISK and "FORMAT C: /s," BOTH of which it
went right thru with NO problems, I reboot the machine
and I keep getting the following upon BOOT UP:
4th Master Hard Disk:

Odd way to describe it.
S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume
I've gone into CMOS/BIOs and there is no
setting to quote "DISABLE" the S.M.A.R.T.
I find it odd that a BRAND NEW drive would have this problem.

Yeah, get the diagnostic from the WD site
and see what it has to say about the drive.
However, I'd like to ATLEAST see her start up
WITHOUT this message and just go on with startup,
as once you hit F1, she loads right up with NO problems.
But having to press F1 EVERYTIME
she reboots or starts up is really lame.

Yes, but just disabling it isnt a good idea even if you can.
Do you have ANY thoughts?

Work out why its happening before trying to disable it.
Here's some Minor Reference Info, just
incase it's of ANY completely unlikely value:
WD400 plugged into PRIMARY IDE PORT on motherboard,
at master on cable with NO slave on same cable

Even odder why the error message calls it
4th Master Hard Disk:
CD-R drive plugged into SECONDARY IDE PORT on motherboard,
with NO other attachments to same cable Gateway
MODEL: ATXSTF CXN Select 1000
CPU: AMD-Athlon 1000MHZ

Clearly its second hand.

HERE's A SCREEN CAPTURE of POST BIOS BOOT MSG:
AMIBIOS (C) 1999 American Megatrends Inc., Version 07.99.xx
BIOS Date: 08/21/00 01:07:30
AMD Athlon(tm), 1000MHZ
Checking NVRAM..Update OK!
256MB OK
WAIT...
Pri Master: 05.03E05 WDC WD400BB-75DEA0
Ultra DMA Mode-4, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD
Sec Master: 1.5 R/RW 8x4x32
4th Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

Like I said, I'd run WD's diagnostic on the drive, and do that with
the drive in another system if it reports the drive as bad. Likely
that '4th Master Hard Disk:' is just some quirk of the bios and isnt
significant and the drive or the drive subsystem has a fault.

Running the diagnostic on the drive in a different system will
allow you to decide if its the drive or the controller/cable etc
thats the problem. Dont use the same cable for that test.

SyKoTaBoY

LOL......and I thought I was the only one that got that "feeling" sometimes
with Gateways....NOT all of them, just some things I've been thru with
Gateways so called "Stores" not even stocking one-tenth of the parts for
their own machines!! I remember just before she'd first brought it, she
called claiming she thought her motherboard was bad over the phone.....and I
remarked that "IF" that were true, I'd just pick up something worth-using
from a local wholesaler!......fortunately, (or
"UN"-fortunately?...(j/k)....THe MB appears to be fine so far....)

Uh, oh, get it checked out to ensure it hasnt got a bomb inside...

hehe.....This is why I usually massively HATE "computer shows".....If you go
in with a VERY SUSPISCIOUS attitude and a careful eye, then "YES" you can
find a few deals here or there, if you're lucky....But I tend to treat
Computer "Shows" of sales booths like I Treat the thought of Fruit, milk
and bread Products of an unheard of grocery chain called "Food Lion" that My
friends and I, back in Grade School RE-TITLED as "Food Dungeon" (Where
"Krispy Creme" Doughnuts,believe this or NOT, are better classified as
"Krunchy Concrete, sugar-glazed Shuttle Tile foam disc platters," with the
approach of:

IF it is NOT in a SEALED, UNTOUCHED package, EXACTLY as PACKAGED and
shrikwrapped or canned by ORIGINAL factory, VERY FAR AWAY, with NO SIGN of
ANY form of tampering to packaging, Stay VERY FAR AWAY from it!!!...It's
probably OLDER than YOU ARE!..hehe

ANyhow, that's just "MY" hot-air...

HOWEVER:
.... this "4th Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace"

is the REALLY funky part, because I've seen all sorts of oddities in boot
up detections and I've seen differing HD boot-up errors into the hundreds,
but I have "NEVER" seen the term "4th Master Hard Disk" on ANY form of IDE
drive, on a standard HOME-PC hook up DIRECTLY into PRIMARY and SECONDARY
IDE's..........

the term "4th" is thee BIGGEST mystery to me

Aside from that, I've got her hooked up to another machine running DEBIAN
Linux, just for cutiorsity with a few utils, that are running as I
type.........aside from that, I just wish she hadn't bought it from some
worthless "computer Show,"

Meanwhile, as I wait, excuse me but is that "computer Show" better termed
as:

A) The Computer gambling Carnivale?

B) The "We gotta get rid of this shit that even inCOMPetent-USA / COMP-USSR
wouldn't be stupid enough to bother trying to sell" show?

C) The outdated-warehouse-storage-bins sale?

Mark M

Rod Speed said:
in message news:pip9b.360554$Oz4.133941@rwcrnsc54...

Hey Rod, you have fans here asking for you by name! Good for you.

I too know there are times when I post about something which I need
to know that you specifically will probably be replying to help me
out. Good man.

Rod Speed

Hey Rod, you have fans here asking for you by name!

I appear in subject lines more than you might expect |-)
Good for you.
I too know there are times when I post about something
which I need to know that you specifically will probably
be replying to help me out. Good man.

Thats what these technical groups are for, along
with a bit of light entertainment/flaming too |-)

Folkert Rienstra

Mark M said:
Hey Rod, you have fans here asking for you by name! Good for you.

There 's always suckers that don't do their research first.
I too know there are times when I post about something which I need
to know that you specifically will probably be replying to help me out.
Good man.

Aha, now I get it.
That is why you can't be seen to comment on that particular HD Tach question, right?

Mark M

Folkert Rienstra said:
There 's always suckers that don't do their research first.

Aha, now I get it.
That is why you can't be seen to comment on that particular HD
Tach question, right?

Exacty which question are you referring to?

Rod Speed

Exacty which question are you referring to?

He's just mindlessly trolling, as always.

The dead giveaway is that sort of deliberate cryptic comment
which never allows anyone to be sure just what he is referring to.

And the other dead giveaway is its continual shrieking about trolls
when an individual is clearly asking about something specific.

Rather pathetic, really.

Folkert Rienstra

Mark M said:
Exacty which question are you referring to?

The one you didn't answer, obviously.
How many of those are there and which ones of those were about HD Tach?
It's not exactly that you lost count of them, have you?
Rodney's immediate jump into offense mode clearly shows he didn't have
any trouble finding what I was referring to.

But never mind, you clearly demonstrated again
"that you can't be seen to comment on that 'particular' HD Tach question".
No comments from you that reflect negatively on your new found Messiah.
Right Mark?

Mark M

Folkert Rienstra said:
The one you didn't answer, obviously.
How many of those are there and which ones of those were about
HD Tach? It's not exactly that you lost count of them, have you?

Yes. I don't bother to count trivia.
Rodney's immediate jump into offense mode clearly shows he
didn't have any trouble finding what I was referring to.

But never mind, you clearly demonstrated again
"that you can't be seen to comment on that 'particular' HD Tach
question". No comments from you that reflect negatively on your
new found Messiah. Right Mark?

No comment. :-|

Mark M

Folkert Rienstra said:
Good to know how you rate your own questions.
But then we already agreed on that once, so that isn't new.

Heh! Guess I still have a lot to learn about hard drives.

I'll take that as a Yes 'No comment'.

Rod is no Messiah to me but the plain truth is that he knows a heck
of a lot more about hard drives than I do. Most of you guys do.

If Rod wants to help me out then I am pleased to have his input and I
have got to say that Rod is usually the first person to post a reply
to something I ask.

What is so wrong with being grateful to him?

Top