Help repairing a broken Spanned Dynamic NTFS LDM

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone know how to fix a NTFS LDM on a spanned volume? It’s a Fiber direct connect mass storage NEXSAN ATABeast 8TB divided into a least three volumes. 1 simple and 2 spanned. The NEXSAN unit appeared to glitch and brought one of the 2TB arrays offline. Now the volumes show up in windows disk manager but show as having drives missing for half of the volumes rendering it inaccessible. Of course now there is a mysterious 2TB basic drive suddenly appeared with no partition. All signs seem to point to a corrupted LDM as near as I can tell. I have a basic idea what needs to be done but have never endeavored to do this before. So I left it alone for now. One volume warehouses critical data that require badly. I hear that Microsoft is able to walk people through rebuilding the MBR to bring the volume back online but this is only rumored to me so far. And there seems to be little on the net regarding it that myself or coworkers (Including NEXSAN support) can seem to find.

Note: NEXSAN support is at a loss to explain the glitch that appeared to have been caused by two simultaneous disk failures in two different arrays thus, it should not have caused such an interruption.

Please any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Some basic info below….

HW: HP 3000 connected to NEXSAN ATABeast via PCI Fiber 2GB QLogic card

Three Partitions on NS. 1 Simple 2 Spanned. 1 spanned online. Other two reporting missing disks.

Volume size in question 3TB spanned over 2x2TB arrays.

And before anyone suggests pull from backups, don’t get me started. Murphy’s law our backup (Symantec Netbackup 5.1 system “backup to Disk” got its catalog corrupted approximately the same time due to a tape error) I was on vacation….. ugh…

What a month, :confused: Thank you all in advance!!

Jason

Ask a Question