Help please!! Gettin error when running a report

Mark

Hi.

I've built a report based on a query that returns the top 30 sales people
based on total sales for a given month. The query runs perfectly. The
problem is when I attempt to run the report. I'm getting the following
message:

"You must define a sort field or expression for the group header or footer
in the report you tried to preview or print."

After a little research I removed the sorting part of the query and set the
sort order from within the report using "Sorting and Grouping". The
required field from the underlying query shows up in the field list and I
selected that one. I'm still getting the problem.

The report is set up as follows:
Report Header
Page Header
Detail
Page Footer
Report Footer

Many TIAs!

Mark

Fons Ponsioen

From your description I think you still have a problem
with A group and/or sort selection in your report setup.
With the report in the design view go to the report
sorting and grouping and make sure each selection here is
set as required and delete any you do not need. Do not
set any footers or headers that you do not need.
Hope this helps.
Fons

Mark

Thanks for the rapid response.

I originally did the sorting in the underlying query but removed it after
reading about how query sorts can be "lost" in the report. I did go to the
sorting and grouping in the report and have set only one field to sort from.
The report lists the top 30 (using the Top N function in the query) sales
people and sorted by total sales (desending - greatest sales first). The
"TotalSales" field in the underlying query is set up as follows:
Field: TotalSales: Sum([BrokerORLS]+[BrokerORMS])
Table: blank
Total: expression

Hope this helps.

You mentioned for me to go to "sorting and grouping" and only set the one
field that is needed. I only have one field set.
You also mentioned that I should not set any headers/footers that I don't
need. This is done also. There's only Report headers/footers and Page
headers/footers. This is the bare minimum, I believe.

I'm still getting the message.

Any other suggestions?

Fons Ponsioen

Sorry that didnot help.
To filter by the top 30, you should sort the query by the
select field.
I have never seen the error message you are describing.
What I would try is copy the report to abackup file. from
the backup file delete all fields from the group header,
and see if you still get the error message, and try to
find the conflicting entity by trial and error.
Fons
[...]

From your description I think you still have a problem
with A group and/or sort selection in your report setup.
With the report in the design view go to the report
sorting and grouping and make sure each selection here is
set as required and delete any you do not need. Do not
set any footers or headers that you do not need.
Hope this helps.
Fons top
30 sales people getting
the following group
header or footer the
query and set the the
field list and I

.

Duane Hookom

Make sure that you don't have Ascending or Descending set in the left column
of the sorting and grouping with no field selected on the left.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

Fons Ponsioen said:
[...]

From your description I think you still have a problem
[...]

Hi Duane.

I'm assuming you mean in the "Sorting and Grouping" box, correct. If so, I
have one field listed (CompanyName) with it's sort order as (Ascending). The
next two rows have NO field/expression entered (it's blank), but the
corresponding sort order for these non-existent fields show "Ascending"
(i.e. sort order that has Ascending in the right column with no
cooresponding field name in the left column). I've tried to delete these
but Access won't let me. If I highlight the word "Ascending" and press
<backspace> or <delete> to get rid of it, it comes right back once I click
on the second one I want to delete and gives me the following message:

"The text you entered isn't an item in the list. Select an item from the
list or enter text that matches one of the listed items."

I press OK and I am forced to choose between Ascending or Descending.

This is becoming very frustrating, since my underlying query (the report's
record source) returns the proper record set.

Any other suggestions?

(Also, just for my information, Is Tek-Tips forums down?)

Thanks again!!!

Mark

Fons Ponsioen said:
[...]

From your description I think you still have a problem
[...]

Click the selector to the left of the field/expression and the press delete.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

Fons Ponsioen said:
[...]

"Fons Ponsioen" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
From your description I think you still have a problem
[...]

Thanks! Worked great! It's one of those things that make a person pull
his/her hair out....

One other quick question if I may.

I want to create a tabbed switchboard form. Could you point me in the right
direction as to where I might find some info on how to do it?

Again, many thanks!!

Mark

Duane Hookom said:
[...]

From your description I think you still have a problem

Duane Hookom said:
[...]

From your description I think you still have a problem

Duane Hookom said:
[...]

wrote in message
From your description I think you still have a problem
[...]

I think all you need to do is create a blank form, add a tab control and
then use the command button wizard to add buttons.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

Mark said:
[...]