Help Optimizing a Sheet to improve performance

Vulcan

Hi:

I have a large excel sheet with lots and lots of formulas - many of them
text related, and lots of conditional formatting. The response of the sheet
is very slow - that is, when I enter a value in a cell, it can take up to a
second or more before the conditional formatting changes the appearance of
the cell. I'm also sung some 'grouping' which has an extremely slow
response. Expanding the to first level can take half a minute and there are
only about 40 rows in the sheet.

Aside from the obvious - reducing formulas and conditional formatting rules,
is there a general way to optimize a sheet for speed? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Office 2007 running under Vista on a high speed Quad Core machine with 4 gig
of memory.

Jim Cone

"Never Upgrade"...
Some possible help here (pack a lunch)...
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
(Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)