Help on obstacles to upgrading from Win ME to XP

B

BillF

On one of my computers I still am running Windows ME. I would upgrade to XP, but I have two peripheral devices that I understand either will only partially work or will not work at all with XP. These are an HP OfficeJet Model 350 All-in-one printer/copier/scanner/fax that my internet research says will no longer have an operating scanning function, and a Visioneer Paperport 6100 (non-usb) flatbed scanner that my research says will not work at all. I use this older system as backup and to be able to perform certain tasks while another person is using the newer computer that does have XP.

Replacing these two peripherals would not "break the bank", but I am naturally stingy and do not like to replace them as long as they run well.

Can you advise me on whether there are ways to make these two peripherals work with Win XP, and tell me where to get the information? Otherwise, I'll probably stay with Win ME on that computer for a while longer. Thanks.

BillF

P

paulmd

BillF said:
On one of my computers I still am running Windows ME. I would upgrade to XP, but I have two peripheral devices that I understand either will only partially work or will not work at all with XP. These are an HP OfficeJet Model 350 All-in-one printer/copier/scanner/fax that my internet research says will no longer have an operating scanning function, and a Visioneer Paperport 6100 (non-usb) flatbed scanner that my research says will not work at all. I use this older system as backup and to be able to perform certain tasks while another person is using the newer computer that does have XP.

Replacing these two peripherals would not "break the bank", but I am naturally stingy and do not like to replace them as long as they run well.

Can you advise me on whether there are ways to make these two peripherals work with Win XP, and tell me where to get the information? Otherwise, I'll probably stay with Win ME on that computer for a while longer. Thanks.

From what I can tell, your research is correct.

Ask a Question