help - my access 2003db is creating db1 db2 db3 files etc......w.

I have a networked access 2000 db running under access 2003. I have noticed
that it appears to create it's own little databases, named db1, db2 etc....It
is not possible to open these separately (you get the message "unrecognized
format"). I'm wondering if anyone knows what they are, why they happen and if
it's ok to delete the little divvils...Thanks,

Graham.

Van T. Dinh

My guess is that you use the "Compact-On-Close" option and for some reason,
the Compacting process has not been completed properly.

When Compact is executed, Access actually closes the database and compact
the database into a _new_ file "dbX.mdb" where X is the next number
available starting from 1. When the compacting is completed, Access deletes
the original file and then rename the file "dbX.mdb" to the original name.

As why your compacting process has not benn completed, I have no ideas ...

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

"Graham (The Jock) Thomson." <Graham (The Jock)
news:[email protected]...