Help, missing KTOSKRNL.EXE

V

Vic

I did some reconfiguring with HD's today (made the W2K partition bigger). In all the file transfers from disk to disk, of all W2K
files, ktoskrnl.exe did not transfer properly (it's completely missing!), hense W2K will not boot. A message comes up immediately
saying the file is missing (systemroot\system32). I have the CD and boot disks but no emergency repair disks. Is there ANY way to
get that file back without reinstalling and having all sorts of newer files overwritten?

Can it be extracted from one of the files on the CD?

Thanks
Vic

V

Vic

Sorry, I miscopied the filename, it's NTOSKRNL.EXE which DOES exist on the drive.
For those interested, the reason I was getting the error because in reinstalling W2K I moved it to a different partition on the HD
(drive LETTER stayed the same but the partition # was different). The BOOT.INI had to be edited to reflect this change.

Consequently, the PC boots but gets locked in a loop saying it's saving my settings. Hmmm, I guess it really didn't like getting
changed to a different partition.

-Vic
___

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Vic said:
I did some reconfiguring with HD's today (made the W2K partition bigger).
In all the file transfers from disk to disk, of all W2K
files, ktoskrnl.exe did not transfer properly (it's completely missing!),
hense W2K will not boot. A message comes up immediately
saying the file is missing (systemroot\system32). I have the CD and boot
disks but no emergency repair disks. Is there ANY way to
get that file back without reinstalling and having all sorts of newer files overwritten?

Can it be extracted from one of the files on the CD?

Thanks
Vic

How exactly did you transfer your files from disk to disk?

V

Vic

Pegasus, I used a program called XXCOPY, with the /clone switch. (it did not cause the problem)

As I said, the boot problem resulted from the BOOT.INI calling the OS to be on partition #4, but I moved the OS to partition #3
(retaining the same drive letter always).

The problem which caused the 'loop' (saving user settings, loading user profile) was a result of deleting a partition which held the
pagefile, TEMP dir's and a couple of other things. This was a BAD error as it would not let me boot even in safe mode! Thankfully
there were OLD backup registry's with different pagefile and TEMP,TMP etc settings which allowed me back into the system. This
enabled me to reconfigure a few things which got the OS back to normal ... which runs nice.

Lesson reinforced, keep backups, lot's of them, in numerous places, ALWAYS (which I did!)

Vic

Ask a Question