Help for fixing CD Recording Wizard

Hello:

I have installed some software and I didn't realize when the CD Recording
wizard was broken down.

Now, if I want to burn some files, I drag them to the explorer window (e:\
is my cd burner). Then those files appear at the top of the window (files
ready to be added to CD). Then I click on CD tasks->Record these files in a
CD, and CD Recording Wizard appears. It let's me set a label for the CD.
Every thing ok until now.

But when pressing next it says there is not any CD in e:\, although there is
a new blank CD. When I bought my PC 3 months ago I used to be able to burn
files in this way, but now CDs aren't detected.

Some clues: Explorer can read files in CDs (although wizard thinks there is
not any CD). Also, I can burn CDs with any burning software (roxio,
Grab&Burn, CDBurnerXP, Infra Recorder...). But not with Windows Wizard!!! I
have WinXP home SP2

Any idea?

Rock

[...]

Installing 3rd party burning software will often times disable the in built
CD recording software. Burn the CD using the 3rd party software.

Another option is to open My Computer, then right click on the CD drive. On
the recording tab make sure enable recording on this drive is checked. Then
from Start | Run type in services.msc. Click ok. Check that the IMAPI
CD-Burning COM Service is set to start automatically.

If it works this could affect the 3rd party software installed or be changed
on next boot.

Well, that didn't work at all.. Now it says the CD is not recordable. I
already tried with CDR and CDRW...

Actually I don't like the burning software that came with my PC (Roxio
Digital Media). The only advantage Windows burning service has is that it
allows me to drag files. But I miss Direct CD, which allowed also delete and
rename files.

Sorry: I correct above paragraph: It did work, however, I don't know why the
com service is to start automatically (that says in the services console),
but when I boot windows it is not running ... I have to start it manually.
That's all the problem. But anyway I thank you very much your tip.

Also: When I start manually the service, sometimes it fails: Wizard says
there isn't any CD and when exiting it, service is terminated (removed from
process list)

Rock

Sorry: I correct above paragraph: It did work, however, I don't know why
the
com service is to start automatically (that says in the services console),
but when I boot windows it is not running ... I have to start it manually.
That's all the problem. But anyway I thank you very much your tip.

You need to quote at least some of the message to which you reply otherwise
it 's out of context and we don't know what you mean. I vaguely remember
responding to you, but then again it could have been a different post.

Many people, as I, use a newsreader to read this newsgroup, not the web
interface (which is a lousy way to access a newsgroup). I only see the most
recent messages, not the whole thread.

If I recollect I said that some 3rd party programs disable the windows in
build burning software. This is probably what's messing with the IMAPI
service. You could uninstall that software.

You're welcome for the help.

Rainald Taesler

Many people, as I, use a newsreader to read this newsgroup, not the
web interface (which is a lousy way to access a newsgroup). I only
see the most recent messages, not the whole thread.

Whilst I fully agree with the need to quote what one is referring to
(*edited* quote <!!!>) I do not understand the latter.
One of the main advantages of NewsGroups and the newsreader technology
over the standrd web-forums is the possibilty to have threads and to
have the whole of a thread available "at your fingertip".

Why don't just switch the view?

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Rock,
You need to quote at least some of the message to which you
reply ....
[...]
Many people, as I, use a newsreader to read this newsgroup, not the
web interface (which is a lousy way to access a newsgroup). I only
see the most recent messages, not the whole thread.

Whilst I fully agree with the need to quote what one is referring to
(*edited* quote <!!!>) I do not understand the latter.
One of the main advantages of NewsGroups and the newsreader technology
over the standrd web-forums is the possibilty to have threads and to
have the whole of a thread available "at your fingertip".

Why don't just switch the view?

I for one normally enter the groups with thread view an collapsed
threads and just switch to viewing most recent message just for
controlling if there might be something new I overlooked when going
through the threads

Rainald
P.S. Using "full quote" - as you did in your first reply to Manuel and
your reply in "my" thread - would cause serious anger in any German NG
(incl. the MS groups).
Doing so would immediately be followed by a freindly hint to pls
refrain from that, followed by warnings, if not being follpwed. And
after some warnings the regulars just wouldn't talk to people ignoring
the NG-posting-style anymore ...

Ken Blake, MVP

Rainald said:
Whilst I fully agree with the need to quote what one is referring to
(*edited* quote <!!!>) I do not understand the latter.
One of the main advantages of NewsGroups and the newsreader technology
over the standrd web-forums is the possibilty to have threads and to
have the whole of a thread available "at your fingertip".

Why don't just switch the view?

Like Rock, and like many newsgroup particpants, I prefer not to view
already-read messages. If I kept already-read messages, to read those
messages I hadn't yet read, the number of messages I would have to go
through in a big newsgroup like this one would be enormous. It would take me
far longer to go through them all, and I don't want to spend any extra time
looking at what I've already seen.

So I hide already-read messages, and every few days delete them all.

If I ever need to go back in a thread to see what's there, I use
Googlegroups (but I do that very seldom).

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
If I recollect I said that some 3rd party programs disable the
windows in build burning software. This is probably what's messing
with the IMAPI service. You could uninstall that software.

Yes, third party software my be part of the game.

Older versions of Adaptec (renamed Roxio) were that cruel that on
uninstalling registry entries were not put back to the needed settings
and thereafter DC-drive as such were not recognized by Windows
anymore.
This was a serious problem and I recall dozens of dozens of calls for
help and somewhere in my archives I think to still have some papers
and some REG-file to remove the bad entries for UpperFilter and
LowerFilter somewhere in my archives.

This has been corrected. The newer version don't do that.

And if it's not an ooooold version of Roxio in Manuel's case it could
co-exist with Roxio (the XP burning technology (which BTW is based on
Roxio technology).

I' have been having "Roxio Easy CD Creator" and Nero 6.x on my systems
for a long while without any disturbance for the XP burning wizard.
Only lately (I do not know why) on my desktop the problem appeared
which Manuel has.
On my notebook as well as my TabletPC the three programs do co-exist
without a problem.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Manuel S. shared these words of wisdom:
Well, that didn't work at all.. Now it says the CD is not
recordable. I already tried with CDR and CDRW...

The same on my side (see my thread "CD-burning support ", started 26.
November 2006 06:46, Message-ID:
http://groups.google.de/group/micro...k=gst&q=Rainald&rnum=2&hl=de#2de73d11eba40c42
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...eral&mid=ad58351b-b4f2-41e1-bdd2-e84f741c674b )
Actually I don't like the burning software that came with my PC
(Roxio Digital Media).

Do you like it or NOT like it?
The only advantage Windows burning service
has is that it allows me to drag files.

Roxio has that too:
a) If the UDF support is configured the right way one can drag und
drop files to CD in any file;
b) The "Drag-to-Disc" applications works pretty fine.

The disadvantage is the file-format: Whereas the Windows burning
Wizard uses "CDFS", Roxio uses UDF. So CDs will not be read in any
computer or CD-Player unless the disk has bee "finalized" on ejecting
it.

For creating CDs to hand over to others, I therefore prefer the
Windows wizard.
And I want to have it back!!!

Rainald

Rock

im Newsbeitrag

Whilst I fully agree with the need to quote what one is referring to
(*edited* quote <!!!>) I do not understand the latter.
One of the main advantages of NewsGroups and the newsreader technology
over the standrd web-forums is the possibilty to have threads and to have
the whole of a thread available "at your fingertip".

Why don't just switch the view?

I don't like having the extra messages cluttering things. The proper
protocol in a newsgroup is to quote at least a part of the message.

Rock

Rainald Taesler said:
[...]

I have seen this problem happen even with current 3rd party software. And
now you are seeing it.

Rainald Taesler

Ken Blake, MVP shared these words of wisdom:

Thanks for the reply, Blake.
Each and anyone has different techniques of working.
I agree in that what fits for me and what I developed my way of doing
things in man long years of most intensive ND support does not fit for
others.
Like Rock, and like many newsgroup particpants, I prefer not to view
already-read messages.

Me too ;-)
.. If I kept already-read messages, to read
those messages I hadn't yet read, the number of messages I would
have to go through in a big newsgroup like this one would be
enormous.

Depends on (a) the newsreader and (b) the settings (marking, filtering
etc., etc.)
I just mark what I've read.
I do not hide read stuff.
And I just keep everything locally until it's scrolled from the board
(too soon with the MS NGs [siiiigh]).

And so it's pretty easy to see what's new and it's just one
mouse-click to navigate to the next thread with an unread/new posting.
And it's easy enough to switch the view and see if I might have missed
something which is new but buried deep down in the hierarchies ...

Just my 2 cents.
I'm far from wanting to tell an MVP how to work in a NG <gbg>.

Rainald
P.S. Would you have any idea on how to solve Manuel's problem and
mine?
For the latter pls see my thread

Rainald said:
Ken Blake, MVP shared these words of wisdom:

Thanks for the reply, Blake.
Each and anyone has different techniques of working.
I agree in that what fits for me and what I developed my way of doing
things in man long years of most intensive ND support does not fit for
others.

That's fine. I'm not trying to tell you or anyone else what to do, just
explaining why others (me, for example, and presumably also Rock) prefer to
do it differently from your way.

Me too ;-)

But I don't understand that statement at all. It conflicts with what you
said previously: "threads and to have the whole of a thread available "at
your fingertip. Why don't just switch the view?" If your Outlook Express
view is "Show All Messages," then you *do* view already-read messages.

Depends on (a) the newsreader an

We use the same newsreader (different versions, but essentially the same).

d (b) the settings (marking, filtering
etc., etc.)
I just mark what I've read.
I do not hide read stuff.

If you do not "hide read stuff," it remains there on view, and you obviously
have many more messages on view than I do. Yes the already-read and the
unread messages are marked differently, and it's possible to tell the
difference between them. However, it would take me much*longer to scroll
through a long list of messages, look at the headers, and stop only when is
message isn't marked as read.

When I read newsgroup messages, I have only unread messages on view. I
scroll down through them, hardly glancing at the headers, quickly reading
the text of each to see which messages I can help with and want to answer.
If I had to do it your way, it would take me *much* longer--perhaps twice as
long. I know--I've tried it your way, and it doesn't work for me.

And I just keep everything locally until it's scrolled from the board
(too soon with the MS NGs [siiiigh]).

And so it's pretty easy to see what's new and it's just one
mouse-click to navigate to the next thread with an unread/new posting.

Easy, but much slower.

And it's easy enough to switch the view and see if I might have missed
something

I will very occasionally do this, but it often doesn't work for me, since I
not only hide already-read messages, but also, as I said, delete them every
few days. As I also said, I always have googlegroups to fall back on, when
necessary.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm far from wanting to tell an MVP how to work in a NG <gbg>.

It has nothing to do with being an MVP, as far as I'm concerned. We can all
do things differently, and what works well for one of us doesn't have to be
what's best for the other. My way is best for me, not because I'm an MVP,
but because I've tried it different ways, and this is what suits me best.
Your way isn't worse than mine, and even if you're not an MVP, if it works
for you, I don't want to try to talk you out of it.

P.S. Would you have any idea on how to solve Manuel's problem and
mine?
For the latter pls see my thread

Sorry, no.

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
The
proper protocol in a newsgroup is to quote at least a part of the
message.

Exactly.
100% d'accord!

The stress on "a part of the message".
But definitely *NOT* the "FULL" quote (neither at the top, nor
carrying the whole therad at the bottom).

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Rock shared these words of wisdom:
I have seen this problem happen even with current 3rd party
software. And now you are seeing it.

As said it worked flawlessly until a few days ago.
And the very same software happily co-exists with the XP wizard on the
other machine.
So guess what.

Any idea on which parts of the registry might be responsable for the
type of media not being detected in both cases (Manuel's and mine)??
Evrything else works fine.

Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Ken Blake, MVP shared these words of wisdom:

Thanks for your kind reply, Blake.
Although it's getting to the state of TOT, just a few additional
thoughts (in order to make myself understood):
That's fine. I'm not trying to tell you or anyone else what to do,
just explaining why others (me, for example, and presumably also
Rock) prefer to do it differently from your way.

Yes, that's how I understood you.
And I did not have wanted to make Rock his way of working. I had only
been wondering why he did not make use of the threaded view
But I don't understand that statement at all. It conflicts with
what you said previously: "threads and to have the whole of a
thread available "at your fingertip. Why don't just switch the
view?" If your Outlook Express view is "Show All Messages," then
you *do* view already-read messages.

No, no contradiction at all IMO.
As said my standard view is threaded view with collapsed threads.
So there is only one line per thread.
And threads with unread posting are shown bold.
But I can easily expand each thread with 1 mouse-click.

And can just jump over all threads which have only read postings by
using the "next unread subject" or "next unread message" and by this
arrive directly at a thread which might need attention.
And its two mouse-clicks to activate "Hide read messages" (view-menu).

And in addition I have a filter for marked threads (shown in red) and
my own postings (automatically marked and colored in green). So
We use the same newsreader (different versions, but essentially the
same).

Nice to see. Although most pros do despise OE, I did stay with it.
Tried out Forte and Gravity and some others but in the end I staid
with OE (BTW: the same for mail. I never liked Outlook and I could not
yet make my peace with it, not even with the new 2007 version.
Although I do not like it [still weeping after my beloved Lotus
Organizer] I use it for calendar and contacts because otherwise
synching with my iPAQ would not work. But for mail I use it only for
some special things and my working tool is OE with IMAP).
If you do not "hide read stuff," it remains there on view, and you
obviously have many more messages on view than I do.

I don't think so. With trees collapsed it's just the headlines.
Yes the
already-read and the unread messages are marked differently, and
it's possible to tell the difference between them. However, it
would take me much*longer to scroll through a long list of
messages, look at the headers, and stop only when is message isn't
marked as read.

As said above: no need to scroll through. Just jumping to items which
are deeper down.
When I read newsgroup messages, I have only unread messages on
view. I scroll down through them, hardly glancing at the headers,
quickly reading the text of each to see which messages I can help
with and want to answer. If I had to do it your way, it would take
me *much* longer--perhaps twice as long. I know--I've tried it your
way, and it doesn't work for me.

I fully accept this.
In many long years of most intensive work in NGs I arrived at
different results ;-)
And I just keep everything locally until it's scrolled from the
board (too soon with the MS NGs [siiiigh]).

And so it's pretty easy to see what's new and it's just one
mouse-click to navigate to the next thread with an unread/new
posting.

Easy, but much slower.

As said, not really when using filtered views
I will very occasionally do this, but it often doesn't work for me,
since I not only hide already-read messages, but also, as I said,
delete them every few days. As I also said, I always have
googlegroups to fall back on, when necessary.

I for one don't like the webinterfaces at all- neither the one MS has
introduced, nor Google's groups.
So I keep everything as an archive locally (could be that I inherited
It has nothing to do with being an MVP,

I think it has to with it in so far as MVPs are pros in
e-communications and not just casual users.
as far as I'm concerned. We
can all do things differently, and what works well for one of us
doesn't have to be what's best for the other.

!00% d'accord.
My way is best for me, not because I'm an MVP,

which is bearing a really heavy workload with communicating in quite a
number of groups ..
but because I've tried it different
ways, and this is what suits me best. Your way isn't worse than
mine, and even if you're not an MVP, if it works for you, I don't
want to try to talk you out of it.

The same vice versa.
That I did reply again here was just meant to explain my way of think
to make myself understood.
Sorry, no.

Too bad.
Would you perhaps know where else I could ask to reach some people who
would be knowledgeable on WDS and what installing the does to a
system???

Some of the Office NGs?
The Office 2007 beta forums (as WDS is a part needed for OL 2007 too)?
Or would you perhaps know someone of the MVP colleagues or someone
from the Office 2007 teams?

I'm really desperate.
As I had installed WDS because of OneNote 2007 during the beta I asked
in the ON NG too. To no avail so far.
And I asked in the German XP NGs too. Just one reply with the
suggestion to re-install under a different user with admin privs
and/or try the "Windows CleanUp" tool; the latter does not even show
WDS on its list ...

Thanks again fro sharing your thoughts

Rainald

If I recollect I said that some 3rd party programs disable the windows in
build burning software. This is probably what's messing with the IMAPI
service. You could uninstall that software.

OK: Let's begin again. The original burning software (Roxio Digital Media)
doesn't interfer with IMAPI - when the pc was used for first time every thing
worked ok. Now I have the IMAPI service for being started automatically,
however, when booting windows it is not started (why?) . Then, if I start it
manually, when trying to burn a CD the wizard says there is not any CD and
IMAPI.exe seems to be terminated (it is removed from the process list).

Actually I don't like the burning software that came with my PC
Do you like it or NOT like it?

Roxio has that too:
a) If the UDF support is configured the right way one can drag und
drop files to CD in any file;
b) The "Drag-to-Disc" applications works pretty fine.

The disadvantage is the file-format: Whereas the Windows burning
Wizard uses "CDFS", Roxio uses UDF. So CDs will not be read in any
computer or CD-Player unless the disk has bee "finalized" on ejecting
it.
For creating CDs to hand over to others, I therefore prefer the
Windows wizard.
And I want to have it back!!!

Hi, Rainald: well, my roxio version is "SE" (Not deluxe, so I have to
upgrade for having drag and drop).
That's why I want to fix the IMAPI service. As I said before: 1) It is not
started automatically, despite it is set to do it.
2) It exits after saying there is not any CD in the drive (of course there
is a blank CDR/CDRW)
3)All this used to work together with roxio... but at some moment in the
recent 3 months it was broken down!